Pony riding!!

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I have a few minutes free with nothing to do, so I thought I would write a little update on Harry.

I have been riding him twice a week now for the last 3 weeks, and he is the sweetest soul. He has the same character as Ben in many ways and loves being groomed and fussed over. Riding wise, he is so much fun. I have found my pony legs and can now trot along happily rising at a hundred miles per hour without losing my balance (mainly) and being able to have independent hands again. I have finally remembered how to ride and it feels good to tap into my many years of lessons I had with Ben and I'm enjoying the whizz that Harry brings. I never thought I would enjoy flying around at the slightest touch with my legs but I do.

We haven't cantered yet, but that will come in time. I also want to do some pole work and mini jumps with him, and there will be the chance to go out to some parties when I'm ready. Not so keen on hacking from that yard as there is more road work than I would like, but for the time being I'm loving playing around in the school and finding my mo-jo again. I have been drawn to ponies since Ben died and now I see why. I needed something completely different to help mend my broken heart and while I am still grieving heavily from what I have lost, there is light shining through.

Can't post pictures as he isn't mine and I make no apologies for the gushing nature of this post. I have waited a long time for this. Ponies rock!

You must be amazingly fit.
Not really! We trot in short periods as I’m not sure of his fitness either. The strange thing about sharing is that I have very little idea of the level of work he does the rest of the week. I’m trying not to get too involved and just enjoy riding on my days. I love that old familiar feel of achey legs though.

Reactions: carthorse and Huggy
Lovely to hear how much fun you're having - well deserved! As for ponies - well I'm biased, but the 2 ponies in my life have given me so much joy (Hogan may be a cob, but he's pony size).

Reactions: Mary Poppins
newrider.com