Pony party

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
As part of a raffle at work I put up a (non-ridden) pony experience, expecting someone to win and bring their children, but nope a single female has won it and wants to come with a couple of friends (I know/work with them all and have no concerns) but what do you do with adults and ponies? it's not like kids who will happily brush the ponies for an hour, cover them with glitter and take a few pictures and be happy with that :D Ideas on a postcard ;)
ETA I have until next weekend to come up with a plan

Well im 34 and would happily play child for the day! How about a pony picnic and hopefully the weather is on your side?
I think these guys are thinking the same :D picnic is a good idea but I think even if the weather plays ball its likely to be a bit chili for much sitting around....?

A bottle of fizz soon warms you up ;-) ponies could carry blankets to wrap around and do a learning/quiz type thing as well. I don't mind it being chilly if you have the right clothes and the weather is dry. You could plan a route to hunt the picnic, chocolates, drinks etc through the woods to a nice spot to stop. I'd love that!
I must admit I was thinking they likely are looking forward to being big kids for the day tbh.

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
A bottle of fizz soon warms you up ;-) ponies could carry blankets to wrap around and do a learning/quiz type thing as well. I don't mind it being chilly if you have the right clothes and the weather is dry. You could plan a route to hunt the picnic, chocolates, drinks etc through the woods to a nice spot to stop. I'd love that!
I must admit I was thinking they likely are looking forward to being big kids for the day tbh.
Brilliant idea, I have blankets and hank won't mind carrying them :D

Could you give them a long-reining demo and let them have a little go at holding the reins (with you walking closely alongside obvs!)?

When I’ve had non-horsey friends visit they’ve been keen to handle the horses a little themselves, and surprised and pleased to find how little pressure is needed/that the communication is about small gestures rather than physical force.

Hope you have good weather for it and everyone enjoys themselves!

Get them to do some clicker training. They will love tip bit feeding them. Maybe they can teach them some party tricks.
I think some extra hands skate boarding could be entertaining.

Reactions: Jessey
Long reining is definitely a good one @Feawen, I wish I still had the cart so they could drive.
I darent let them give treats @chunky monkey, the little boys get nippy very quickly, fine for adults that understand that but my friends little girl (4yo) will be over that weekend too and she forgets to mind her fingers and is of the sort that would probably never forgive them for a nip. But no reason they couldn't play about with some little challenges with the boys, perhaps I'll set up a little obstacle course for them to do :)

Reactions: Feawen and Huggy
newrider.com