Pony likes to race! Help!

clafranc

Nov 26, 2007
New England USA
Hi everyone

My new pony is great in the ring, when we are alone. As soon as we get company he is very strong and tries to race the other horses. Showing can be a nightmare with us battling the whole time and out on the trails he does the same thing...races his buddies. What can I do to get him less excited about riding with other horses? He is only 8 and I've just had him for slightly over a month.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

"WIN" :p

My more serious advice,:) learn the one rein stop and how to use it effectively to control a horses speed. Backing up is another good tool for thisi problem. Clinton Anderson has some good stuff available on You Tube.

Keep on, keepin on

Jack

you have hit the nail on the head.It is exciting so the answer is to do lots and lots of work with other horses around to get him used to it so as he starts to think it is no longer as exciting. To start with if you keep him in front for faster work with a horse or pony who is happy to stay behind and won't race then he will start to relax.You can then gradually work towards getting him to work side by side and behind this other horse.The more of it you do and always when heading out and not towards home the better he will get.When working in the school you need to do lots and lots of transitions and really work on getting him listening to you and you will find that he gradually learns to relax and listen to you rather than what the other horse is doing.

Thank you. I thought about the lots of transitions idea which really really makes him mad lol. Mommy asking him to trot when all his friends are running around is just not fun apparently :) Tossed me a nice buck for it the other day, cheeky guy that he is. Thanks for the adivice..i'll let you know how we get on.

Mommy asking him to trot when all his friends are running around is just not fun apparently :)

As well as more training, he's relatively new to you & may still feel more secure in a group of horses than with you - so he's fighting to be allowed to stay with them - so considerate handling & trust building exercises, with a focus on making everything you do Good for him - positive reinforcement works wonders - will help.

Also, horses being herd animals, naturally want to do what the mob are doing anyway, so trying to change his behaviour when he's already in a group of excited equines is working against you. I would be careful who you ride with ATM, until you're going better with him, and only do slow group rides for now, or at least ensure the people you go with are happy to stop & wait or walk when you need them to, and not gallop off on you.

newrider.com