Point 2 Air Jacket

Heather1979

Dec 31, 2014
Has anyone got a Point 2 Air Jacket? If so what is your opinion. Are they worth the money? Does the noise scare the horse when the jacket goes off? Any other information would be great before I shell out please. I will be Hacking and schooling so no competing as I'm aware you also have to wear a normal jacket with it.
Many thanks in advance

People on here wear both the leading brands and I have kept copious notes of their comments - still unable to decide which to buy. People at the yards where I ride wear them too both for lessons and hacking young horses. However, I can tell you that people say you can get your horse used to tthe sound by chilling a can of coke or other fizzy drink and accustoming your horse to the sound of pulling it open e.g. by doing it nearer each time - de-sensitising. It isnt the horse that is nervous in my case, but me.

That's a good idea I must admit . Safety wise though are they good or are the other back protectors the standard ones better?

The medical jury seems to be still out on air jackets used on their own, though I dont fully understand the websites and there is a notable lack of data. Providing the air jacket inflates and is correctly attached, it will protect a great length of your spine and neck than a conventional body protector. Because the bp has to stay clear of your saddle whereas the uninflated air jacket is thin and loose.
The normal bps were intended to protect one's internal organs if one fell onto a sharp protruding object - hence (for me) their usefulness out hacking. As a regular faller off , I dont hack without one - ever and I have never been injured in a fall. But that could just be me and the way I usually fall - like onto a firm foam mattress. So I get up and remount. With an air jacket (on its own) one would need to carry a spare canister of gas with one if one wanted to redeploy the air jacket after coming off.
Clearly the best protection is to wear both - as many cross country riders do - but if you are going to choose one or the other, they perform differently, feel different and I guess it is up to you.
One of the dressage students at our yard wears an air jacket for her lessons.
They are very comfortable to wear and less restricting. However one has to buy the cylinders, remember to attach them and one needs to have them serviced every two years (or so - not sure on the details but they definitely have to go away to be serviced) That means one might need a spare, and I find it hard enough to spare my winter boots to go away to be repaired without having to pay so much for the air jacket.

I had a P2 inflated on me at a show a couple of years ago now. It was an adult medium on it's loosest setting, and I'm anywhere between a size 8-12 on top depending on brand. I'm hardly big. When it went off, it went off with such a loud bang it honestly made me jump and scream... I thought a gun had been fired. I was also quite badly winded and struggled for breath for a while after and had to quickly rip it off.

Another point, is the canister connection on the P2 is highly complained about as it's fine plastic, so fractures easily and only a bayonet fastening (so higher risk of it coming loose). If you like that particular style, look at the helite, the company who made the original P2.

I have a hit air. My reasoning behind this - it inflates outwards, not inwards, so it's worn closer to your body (so less of a risk of getting caught on a low branch out hacking, and flaps less!) and looks neater. It tucks up away from the cantle and your neck, so allows freedom of movement until inflated. When inflated (and by George have I tested it!) you get greater protection around your body than with the P2 - it has better neck protection, coccyx (as it's press studded up, it can be longer on inflation), spine and ribs. I'm perfectly comfortable when inflated. It's also a lot quieter on inflation. I have it on video somewhere I'll try to find mine inflating. Unfortunately dad was a little shocked at my fall so it wasn't fully all recorded on this video I have.

My hit air being inflated. A livery has a better video, but I don't have it unfortunately. No horses or humans were injured in the making of this film...

Reactions: Flipo's Mum
My boss has a HitAir. She is a professional showjumper and has had a lot of falls and injuries in her time but after a particularly bad one at the start of last season she decided it was time to get herself some decent protection. She rode in a friend's Point 2 to see what it was like and found it quite annoying as it kept catching on the back of the saddle. She went for a HitAir because when she's riding in it she's not even aware that she's got it on. She has "gone off" twice, and one of our liveries has gone off in hers too, and on none of those occasions did the sound provoke a reaction from the horses - they really aren't that noisy, plus I think most horses are going to be more aware of the rider coming off than the sound they're making!

Reactions: Flipo's Mum
Pony lover, I can see you have yours over just a T shirt. But since it is close fitting (yet unlike a bp needs to go on top of one's clothes), does one need to buy a second one to wear over a coat in winter?

Pony lover, I can see you have yours over just a T shirt. But since it is close fitting (yet unlike a bp needs to go on top of one's clothes), does one need to buy a second one to wear over a coat in winter?

They're not particularly close-fitting Skib, there's plenty of room underneath for clothing. Izzy has been wearing hers over 2 tops and her winter jacket.

DSC03542 (780x800).jpg

Thank you for all your help but unfortunately I still have no idea which to get. I can't seam to get comfortable with a standard body protector and I have a bad back so I think a standard bp will cause me pain . I was in pain when i left the shop after trying loads on . I don't do any kind of jumping so it would mainly be school work and hacking. I found the p2 air jacket really comfortable however I've not ridden in it only sat in the saddle in the show room . I called p2 and asked them why I should buy there's and the said that the other make they used to service used to come in with a lot of complaints of people saying the canister didn't go off which is why they have the easy to fit bayonet fitting . She also said if you get the warranty and have it serviced every year the parts are free. The lady in the shop did inflate it for me so I knew what it felt like and to be honest it felt snug and safe . I have 2 children and can't risk a bad fall again so I'm trying to be safe in every aspect even if that does mean no cross country etc . How people ride in the standard bp is beyond me . With regards to carrying a spare canister I have to say if I did come off I would probably take my time getting back to the yard so hopefully wouldn't need the spare on me.

I think it is a matter of personal preference to be honest. I tried both at HOYS last year and much preferred the P2 over the hit air, plus the sales team were much more helpful and professional which I know shouldn't sway a decision but it did. They were happy for me to try it on and make it go off unlike the hit air folk who said they couldn't possibly do that. Anyhow it was very tight like a bear hug but only for a few seconds before it started to slowly deflate, so it didn't feel too crushing and I could still breathe quite easily.
I still haven't bought one though as am worried that if I fall it will just pull my saddle apart instead of going off, I ride treeless so no solid parts to attach it to, which I hadn't actually thought about until I tried one.

It was a hot day, so didn't need anything else underneath, however, I am wearing a standard racesafe under it. If you like, later today when I have chance I will take a pic of the jacket, inside and out - you can easily see the adjustment available. You can also get extender straps too for if the jacket is a bit too snug - hit air gave us them for free.

I will comment only on the bp and comfort question for those with bad backs. Which I have too.
I too find it uncomfortable getting in and out of my bp -they have to be narrow across the back - so your arms have to go back. And when you put them on they are still cold. I put mine on before I drive to the yard and they warm up and get flexible but still (some types) give extra support for one's back.
The real question is whether you are comfortable once in a bp of the correct size and once it is correctly adjusted. I am lucky as Airowear have a very skilled local fitter. And the same shop sells Race safe for OH.
You need to work out where and why the bp is uncomfortable. My main problem is that I have narrow shoulders and the extra padding under ones arms prevents my arms hanging down by my side easilly.
I tried on a very comfortable bp at Olympia - hexagonal panels and very flexible - and envied another young customer whom it fitted perfectly. No such luck for me. There was no adjustment and the fitter said it was unsafe. I am slightly between sizes and the temptation is to get a bigger one and that is dangerous. He suggested the boys' one, but it was too short for me over my ribs.
No, I dont like wearing a bp - but I need to wear as much protective clothing as possible. And it is the norm these days. My grand daughter wore an amazing amount of stuff for roller blading. And I am sure that too would be freer and more comfortable without.

Pony lover Thank you - It had slipped my mind that you would wear them over a bp for eventing. And the same one just over a T shirt too. That's useful to know. Please dont go to a lot of trouble with the pics.
If I buy a horse, I will get an air jacket - but just now I am not doing anything.

Thank you skib I do have the problem under my arms . I'm definitely getting an air jacket I just don't know if I should get a point 2 or hit air.

newrider.com