Please, your experiences with cushings..

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
Hiya all, I just thought, that those of you who have horses/ponies with this condition would like the opportunity to share your experiences of how you've coped with it.. Please don't leave anything out, I feel that everyone would benefit knowing what you've been through, and create a new thread on everyday dealings, the good and the bad, happy times and sad, and prove that having cushings is not the end of the world..

My friends Gelding developed Cushings.

Other than growing quite a thick coat and needing to be clipped he lived
a relatively stress free life. He had a fabulous Owner that nothing was
too much trouble for anyway and she had owned him from a 2 year old.

He was PTS year before last at 35, more down to old age than anything
else, bless him x However he was more prone to Lami in the later years.

I rode him when he was aged 12 - 16 and he dumped me more times than
I ever really care to remember, lol:bounce: That Horse taught me LOADS x

RIP Sonny, never forgotton xxxx

Last edited:
We are only 6 weeks into cushings.
Wallace is 18, a shetland and a sweet boy.
I bought him as a schoolmaster driver last year. He drives pairs and singles.
He has been in the shows etc most of his life.
In Feb we took him to a show. His behaviour was abysmal.
In May again he was really bad at a show to the point we withdrew.
His winter coat has stuck with him
He has a bladder problem. When he needs to wee he is very very difficult. When he goes its smells odd and it is gallons.
Oh hes a tiny but trippy too.
He does not have lami, his feet are fine, his coat is not curly.
He gets streessed in unfamiliar situations or to many other horses.

I spoke to the vet, we decided it almost certainly is cushings. Im treating with agnus catus (sp) drops. He loves the drops.
Bladder is better, less quantity and smell is gone.

We are going trining next week. Will see how his behaviour is then.

We are a work in progress.
Everyone gets old, every one has problems. Thats life. We are making the best of what we are given. I love him just the same.

I have had over 15 years experience with cushings with 3 horses.
With the first one (since PTS) the vets didn't have much of a clue. By the time of the 2nd's diagnosis I had the internet & managed to get clued up. By the 3rd one two years ago I had been in hospital & by the time I managed to get to see the horses I just took one look & knew. I recognised the signs. Vet confirmed it a couple of weeks later
Mine are treated with agnus castus (vitex) & diet, tailored to there individual needs.

I looked after a horse on my last yard with cushings!! Helped with Rosie for over 5 years before she finally gave up at the age of 26.

She was a lovely horse very well mannered and apart from clipping in the summer and requiring daily mega grooming sessions and heaps of coat conditioner to kep her from matting in the winter she was ace to look after no different than another horse!!.

She got a supplement but I think this was before the new drg for cushings was around but she was fit and healthy and good for a laugh.

Nikki xxx

newrider.com