Please tell me I am not the only person..

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
who talks to their horses?

I was at the yard last night and I was like ' I know you don't like being brushed sox but Its not like every night your sparkling! I brush you once in a blue moon!!' He still wasn't happy! One of the girls was like "Are you talking to yourself Laur?" I was like " Nope I am talking to Sox"

Please tell me I aren't the only one who talks to their horse(s)?

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Lol definitely not alone! I have conversations all the time with mine. Trouble is, I do their voices as well as my own:oops::Dlol sometimes I really find myself quite funny hahahaaaa. OH talks to them too, I often catch him having a word with Chloe:D

Sparky Lily

Nov 27, 2008
Yell, Shetland
When we were on the yard in Staffordshire, I would often call out "Hello handsome" to Harvey hanging his head over the door at the end of the row of stables - frequently to be answered "and hello to you Pat" by some (male) wag in one of the other stables.

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey

domane

Gracie's mum
Jul 31, 2005
When I first came back to horses and had Cherry-cob, we used to smirk and mock (behind her back) a woman who would be calling out "Hello my darling boy....." as she walked down the aisle to her stable.

I have become that woman :oops:

J.Ems

Jul 9, 2016
Lancashire
Good lord no you're not the only one!!

I talk to my dog, all the horses, the chickens, the hamster, the rabbit.... everyone has 'pet' names, everyone is spoken to with more love and affection than any of my family members haha!!!! And by god they deserve it too!!!

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Nope, I talk to Belle often, I always say 'good morning gorgeous' every single day and 'goodnight gorgeous, see you in the morning' every evening when I leave and lots of other stuff in between.

joellie

Apr 24, 2011
N.Ireland
Oh goodness, I talk to mine non stop and poor marley has too listen to it all when we are out hacking, i never shut up, I talk,sing,whistle to him lol I even ask him " what song should I sing today?", he never answers though lol I only realised how much i did it when i got my gopro and would look at the videos of our hacks when i got back home. I was quite embarrassed watching them and then I thought well sure why not what harm am i doing...apart from giving Marley a headache lol
@lauren123 I love this post, reading how everyone else talks to their horses :D
@J.Ems I also talk to all my other critters including my girlies aka the sheep :)

Reactions: Trewsers

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
@joellie. I do too!! I don't think I couldn't not talk to him. I talk to him a lot, sometimes to say good boy, which hoof to pick up etc. But it was when I noticed he appeared to have lost weight and I was like ' Right we shall have to up the hay and the rugs and see how you go eh?" lol.

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
When we were on the yard in Staffordshire, I would often call out "Hello handsome" to Harvey hanging his head over the door at the end of the row of stables - frequently to be answered "and hello to you Pat" by some (male) wag in one of the other stables.
I always say hi to most of the horses in the yard. Eventhough they wouldnt respond I always say morning !! LOL

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
Nope being onnyards by myself most if the time and hacking by myself all the time I talk to Kia a lot, he does listen I think as he reacts to certain things more :)

Lissie

Jan 18, 2016
Yes all the time, haha @domane That's me I always call them my darling boys :p A typical morning conversation is "Morning my darling boys, how are you, had a good night, slept well? What rug shall we put on today? It's a little bit chilly we don't want you getting cold now do we." Even worse, I say morning to the fish at work every day :rolleyes:

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
Really embarassing if I am in the stable talking to Grace and unknown to me a member of staff has come in and may think I am talking to her.

GaryB

Mar 23, 2015
Me too I'm afraid. The other liveries seem to have got used to me greeting them and their horses :)