Please send Belle your best NR wishes.- UPDATE good news.

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Had to have the vet out this morning as poor girl was hopping lame when I got to the yard and looking very miserable, wouldn't put any weight on it.
Vet had a bit of a prod and has decided it's either badly bruised, it's an abscess brewing or worse case broken pedal bone, anyhow she's comfy in her stable and on bute/boxrest for three days, vet coming back out on Monday and says if no better will have to xray am gutted for her she looked so sad and sorry for herself. May we have some of the famous NR healing vibes for her please?

Last edited:
Oh no!!! So very sorry to hear your lovely Belle is lame. Loads of healing vibes and friendly whinnies from Chloe & Stormxxxxxxx
(Try not to worry too much, it might not be so bad as you think)

Fingers crossed lots and lots of healing vibes coming your way xx

Awww, Rubic sends her sympathies. I hope Belle is better soon and that it is nothing to worry about. Best wishes and hugs are winging their way down to you!

Thank you all, am praying it's nothing serious, friends just been to check on her as I'm at work and text me to say she's very unsettled, hopping around her stable and calling all the time, that's not even half a day in so god knows what she'll be like if it's weeks, I suppose we have to cross that bridge if we come to it and hope it's just an abscess.

Thank you all, am praying it's nothing serious, friends just been to check on her as I'm at work and text me to say she's very unsettled, hopping around her stable and calling all the time, that's not even half a day in so god knows what she'll be like if it's weeks, I suppose we have to cross that bridge if we come to it and hope it's just an abscess.

Try not to worry, ale managed 4 months in and he was like this at the start, he soon settled onto a routine. But fingers crossed she won't have to be in for long

She's probably feeling out of sorts but I'm sure she will settle. Presume vets given her painkillers? If so, they've probably kicked in and she's probably wondering why she's been made to stay in. When she sees you she will be okay. :smile:

Fingers crossed it's nothing more serious than an abscess. I do find it frustrating that you can call a vet and they have no more idea than you do! I know it's not their fault but you always hope they can give you an answer. Hope Belle is more settled now.

Sounds like an abscess, especially since ground so wet at the mo.

Fingers crossed thats all it is and it resolves itself asap. Lots of good luck vibes for her

Poor Belle

Sending her healing vibes and hugs for you

Hope she makes a good and quick recovery and is a happy girl again soon

xx

Lots of good vibes x

Has the vet left you any Sedalin that she can have if she's that upset at being in? It may be worth asking for some - I know it's a Sunday but if he's ok with her having it then maybe someone on the yard has some that you could borrow & replace. She won't do herself any faours going round & round the box on three legs :(

If it comes to x-rays & no fracture is found (& I really hope it isn't!) then if at all possible I'd arrange for the farrier to release any abcess rather than the vet simply because they usually make far less of a hole & so it all grows back sooner. It may even be an idea to have the farrier there for the x-rays because the horse I knew that fractured his pedal bone had to have a bar shoe fitted & the chances are your farrier would rather see the x-rays before doing that.

Everything crossed that she's feeling better this morning x

Thank you all, the mystery deepens, last night when I got there she had managed to completely trash the dressing the vet had put on to support her hoof! But seemed much happier in herself and bearing weight on it.
Anyway re dressed it, gave her another bute with her dinner a big hay net and lots of cuddles and came home.

This morning dressing still on (yay) and again her normal happy self, walking on it wasn't a problem in a straight line but wouldn't turn to the same side, but could turn normally the opposite way, trimmer out this morning as was due anyway, had a good look over her, all of her and not just her feet, no pain trimming poorly one, knocking the wall and hoof testers got no reaction at all.
There are no obvious exit wounds anywhere which may have suggested an abscess that had burst yesterday while the dressing was off, he's not sure but thinks it's possibly not hoof related at all and looks to him as though it is higher up the leg, possibly pelvis or sacroiliac, like she's tweaked something but as he said he's not a vet, so now all I can do is wait and see what the vet suggest tomorrow and take it from there, have left her in as thought best to follow vets advice and she is ok to be honest, she is comfy has food and lots of attention this morning from me and she seems to be quite chilled about it all, she said to say thank you to all of you for sending your good healing vibes and that they seem to be making a big difference to how she feels x x x

Oh KR i am sorry to see this but also pleased to jear she is at least more settled today.
My biggest healing vibes from the north on their way xxx

Well all your lovely NR's good vibes have worked, she's sound this morning, vet came out couldn't quite believe the difference in her and said ' must have been she sprained something and was sore because of that'
She trotted up sound for the vet and has been signed off on the sick for a week (paddock rest) I'm still convinced something is just not quite right with the way she's moving that back leg but it's very subtle and I doubt unless you know her you would see it, so have booked the physio to come out and give her a once over too. I'm so happy and relieved and Belle bless her was so happy to go out this morning she jogged all the way to the field and could hardly contain herself but have to say it says a lot about her as she never once tried to get ahead of me even though she was practically bouncing up and down on the spot, so thank you all again from Belle and me. x

Sooooo glad for you! Was thinking of you both when I turned ours out this morning. Glad to hear she can go into a paddock. Can't remember how old she is? Maybe the subtle lameness may be a small touch of general stiffness ? ANyway hopefully nothing you can't live with. Lets hope it just was a tweak. Bet you feel so relieved.

That's great news. I was going to suggest the physio as that's what helped Rubic when I thought something wasn't quite right! Hope she is back to her normal self soon :biggrin:

newrider.com