Please, please, please send your best healing vibes

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
Star was doing so well. We had a great routine going, out in a bare turnout paddock rota of friend and Mr Star keeping her supplied with hay, then building up nibbling on grass in an evening. Mylo has helpfully eaten almost every blade of grass in his paddock - he comes in starving! So Star has built up to having 3 hours out there in an afternoon. She came in on Wednesday hopping lame. Back on Bute and box rest.
She is so much worse than when initially diagnosed with lami.
Please direct your strongest healing vibes to her right fore in particular!

Oh no, I feel your pain but catching it fast normally means you'll get a good recovery, I'll be funnelling lots of healing vibes her way none the less.

Ice (cryotherapy) is meant to be super in the early stages, just standing them in a bucket of ice water up to the knees (if she won't mind) for 20 mins as often as you can, it's meant to reduce the inflammation and slow progression.

Vibes on the way, but on a more practical note have you had the vet & farrier back out?

The grass is still growing like mad where I am, add in a few frosts & it's very high risk again. Sometimes after laminitis you can get abscesses, could that be a possibility?

Reactions: Jessey and Lemme
The get better vibes worked!
She is much better today. Perhaps 2/10 lame with hoof boots on, normally 1/10 lame barefoot.
She offered me her left foot this morning, on Friday, she wouldn’t weight bear at all on her right foot. She has had Bute, but not a lot.
Will leave her in again in the morning, but will go up in the afternoon and give her the option of roaming round the yard if she wants to. I don’t like box rest unless absolutely necessary even though she has a big stable.
Feeling much happier today.

Was she just lame on one foot with the laminate before? @carthorse makes a very good point that many bouts of laminitis are followed by an abscess. Hopefully she continues to improve :)

Yes, lame on one foot, I was thinking abscess or even that she had pulled something in the field. It is very muddy!
No signs of an abscess, I will keep an eye on it. My RI had a horse with cushings and said that similar happened 2/3 times a year with her, showing severe lameness, Bute and box rest for a couple of days, then all well. Very rarely an abscess erupted. Just another side effect of Cushings. She kept a large supply of Bute at the yard, so I will ring the vet on Monday to arrange to pick some up.

newrider.com