Please help!

ella.elizabeth91

Feb 8, 2015
Hi everyone im new to this forum . I need some advice regarding my mare and im really not sure which way to turn. Ok well I got her in august. No problems with her she's been a super star. Just after Xmas I was washing her legs and saw a few patches of mud fever on her hind legs . I washed and creamed her up and she stayed in for 4 days while it healed . After that I turned her out as normal . The day after she went back out I had a riding lesson . As soon as I asked her to trot she sempt very lame on her front right leg . I got off and took her saddle off and she was still the same when trotting up . my instructor reccomnded to get her saddle checked so I've done this and no problems there . I've also had her feet and teeth checked and no problems . I left her a week then rode her again and she was sound . Then the next time I rode her she was lame . She's been on and off like this since the start of Jan . I'm getting worried now . No one on my yard thinks I need the vet . Now here's the interesting thing . She's not lame hacking ! She's forward and extends. In the school she's hobbling head nodding and acting lame . My good friend watched me ride her in the school and she thought it looked like she was really struggling . She's reccomnded getting physio out to check she's not trapped anything . She's happy to trot and canter in her field fine . I miss doing all the fun things I did with her . It's also impacting her behaviour now ! I'm resting her so much she's becoming hyper and difficult . Just not the horse I've been enjoying . I'm so worried about her so any advice is really appreciated! Thanks

I would get the vet to do a full lameness test and advise you from there. There are many possibilities. It may be that the surface in the school isn't suitable for her, or that she is stiff and finding bending difficult (which is why she is better hacking). She may be trying it on and acting lame because she doesn't want to school, or perhaps you are riding her differently in the school compared to going on a hack.

If my horse was on-off lame, I would certainly get the vet out to put my mind at rest. You will find that on yards there are logs of 'experts' who always know best and like to tell new owners what to do. Generally this results in lots of conflicting and confusing 'advice' because no 2 horsey people will ever agree. I would seek vets advice on go from there.

Reactions: Trewsers
If she's sound in the field let her out.
What does the farrier say? Has he found anything in her foot?

If rest isn't working, and working isn't working and the farrier, saddler and dentist can't find anything I would be either getting a back person or the vet depending on where that lameness looks like its coming from. I would firmly run your fingers all over her body, if her muscles twitch, go hard or she moves away I would go the back person route, if everything seems normal and soft I would go the vet route first. Oh and welcome to NR :D

If she's OK going on straight lines out hacking and struggling with circles in the school, it sounds as if it could be a pelvis/back issue. I'd get a physio or vet out.

newrider.com