Please help. Wording of letter about end of life care of Loan pony

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
I've not been able to sleep much last night. As I put on the medical section of the forum, Little Un's arthritis is no longer fully controlled by his current vet prescribed meds.

Littles is on long term loan, I've had him about 5 years, I think this is the longest he's been in any home as he's been passed round as a companion having been a mercy buy from Wickham Fair some time ago. I've no loan agreement.

A thread on another forum about bute use long term has happened to have come up at the time as I'm needing the vet out for Little Un's arthritis. It didn't occur to me that long term use of bute on an elderly, otherwise happy, pony would be questioned. This is what has led me to start trying to compose a message to his owner. She knows I have him on a double dose of his meds as his arthritis is playing him up so this won't come as a bolt from the blue.

Please, let me know what you think. This is a hard time for me and I can't discuss it with my hubby as last week his doctor raised the question of end of life care of his father so having the same considerations about my pony isn't something I want to burden him with as its fascicle to him in comparison.

Just wanted to give you the heads up, Little Un's vet prescribed meds aren't controlling his arthritis symptoms now and he's intermittently lame despite me having doubled the dose for over a week (as per the instructions when he was first prescribed it and has been successful in the past). He's been on Equi 4S Joint at £86 a tub for nearly 2 years now i think, so not one of the cheap off the shelf remedies and he's assured of receiving every care I can afford to give to ensure he's kept comfortable. It's now reached the stage that I need to get the vet back out again to reassess him. He's still happy in himself at this stage with a good quality of life but is lame, finds it hard to roll and is obviously in pain at times which I don't feel is acceptable. How do you feel about bute as a longer term answer if that is what the vet suggests? I know it can cause liver damage but given his age my thoughts are that this isn't such a worry as he'll need to be on bute for a while to get to that stage. I have no experience of this side of keeping ponies and have never been so aware that he's not my pony. This does not affect my thoughts on his ongoing medical care, it's just that I'm keen to ensure I have agreement in where important welfare decisions are concerned. I really do feel its reached the stage where we need to have a chat about what is acceptable given the rate of progression of his arthritis and his advancing years as things will continue to deteriorate at some rate.

As I've always said, I stand by Little Un in his deteriorating health and advancing years and will continue to provide the best care I can for him but I would like to know your thoughts and feelings on ongoing management, and when to say enough is enough when that time does come as I would like him to see his time out with me if possible.

I certainly don't feel things are at that stage yet, unless his pain can't be managed, but I'd rather discuss things in advance before he deteriorates too that degree.

Please, let me know your thoughts.

I also think it's very good, you have made it clear that the pony's best interests are at heart and that you will stand by him, but also that you are respecting the owner and want to have an agreement in place so you know what to do during the coming vet assessments and in future years.

I think your letter is great JS.it gets your point across whilst also re-iterating that littles needs are being taken care. I would be happy to receive a letter like this & I would be grateful that someone had taken the care & time to write it thoughtfully.

As a side note ..I'm really sorry to hear that your FIL has deteriorated so much.i am sure this isn't an easy time for you. (Hugs).

Sounds good. I may end up using bute long term for Storm, the possible side effects from long term use aren't an issue for me - I trust my vet on that.
What a difficult letter but well worded.

I have a similar issue with Rose who is on loan - when she poisoned herself 3 years ago, I had to have a very hard discussion with her owner, along the same lines, saying that while I was happy to support rose for as long as she wanted to live, I would not permit her to live a life which had no quality. She was on hepatosyl at £220 a month and once her insurance ran out, she came off it, and went onto Milk Thistle, she is now not on anything and is 'well' but she won't make old bones.

Personally I would bute him up or use whatever other pain relief the vet can suggest and give him quality time. If he gets liver damage, well so be it, but he is on borrowed time, as if his arthritis gets bad, and he can't get up and down, then you are stuffed.

Sometimes owners will not want to face it, but you have the day to day care and are in the best place to judge. I have agreement from Rose's owner that I can have her pts if I feel it is an emergency and I cannot contact her and also if she deteriorates - her owner hasn't seen her in six years anyway.

Brilliant news, the response is that she's always considered him to be mine anyway and that I can do as I see fit as she knows I'll always take on board what the vet says and I know him best to judge quality of life.

Now I can relax into knowing I can provide a dignified and managed end when the time comes.

Thanks again. I don't know what I'd do without New Rider!

Brilliant news, the response is that she's always considered him to be mine anyway and that I can do as I see fit as she knows I'll always take on board what the vet says and I know him best to judge quality of life.

Now I can relax into knowing I can provide a dignified and managed end when the time comes.

Thanks again. I don't know what I'd do without New Rider!

Great news JS.. I hope this is a load off your mind.

Thanks, but it's all done and dusted Tina.

Given I don't have a loan agreement, I thought it better to have written record of all this so there's no misunderstanding and i didn't forget anything. Not only that, we've always done everything in black & white since I got him so its a normal form of communication in our case. Despite hubby, his sister, the care home and the doctor all discussing what will happen with Dad's end of life care, everyone has been emailing in addition to clarify and make sure there are no misunderstandings as its too important.

Littles' owner has 30+ ponies that she has collected and loans out. She's a sucker for a rescue and then looks for the right home but retains ownership. She's very experienced and well know and respected around here as she has worked in horses all her life so not such a novice emotional wreck as I am! I'd have another pony from her in a heartbeat if my situation allowed.

He is very cute :smile:.

We had a loan pony come to us aged 30 +. Our Vet suggested low level bute from the beginning and he lived happily with us for another 10 years. We always kept him well rugged and warm in winter and when we lost him it was through colic.

Our Vet likened it to giving your Granny ibrufen for her arthritis. The pony sounds as though he has a sensible owner too.

What a lovely and very thoughtful loaner you are. A letter like that would asure me my pony was being very well cared for!

Also he's adorable

He is isn't he. He's got the cutest ears. Its so sad though, he's lovely but he's not one to get attached to people thanks to his past. He likes being pampered but doesn't care who by. Joy doesn't like being pampered but we are clearly bonded.

newrider.com