Please help me decide on a new bridle

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
As the Micklem didn't work out, I am looking for a new bridle.
I have two (possibly three) in the running so if anyone has any experience with either, good or bad, please let me know.
First choice is the Keiffer Anja
Second is the Rhinegold Anatomical

Budget is £90/£100 max.

The third possibility is T deT. Currently on sale on Ebay. Never heard of this brand though. Apparently cost £200 new and it is unused.

I'm no help I'm afraid, but I'm curious as to why you want a special type of bridle. I don't mean that to sound cheeky, I just mean what are you looking for in a bridle that a normal bridle can't do? Sorry, I've probably missed a previous thread.

I don't particularly want a 'special' bridle. What I do want it a very soft good quality leather which will last. I also much prefer the minimal look, so the fewer straps and buckles, the better. I have been browsing on Ebay and I always seem to stop and look at the most expensive bridles ( without noticing the price first)
I have expensive tastes obviously!

Reactions: Jessey
I'm not help either as mine just has a plain cavesson type.
What about an Icelandic bridle, those are minimal?
I couldn't spend that myself as I often just drop it on the floor on returning from a ride. :)

I use an Albion KP Bridle on Ben. It is lovely, very soft and good quality. They are expensive new but I bought it second hand from someone from NewRider for £20. There are some very good bargins to be had on second hand tack.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I use an Albion KP Bridle on Ben. It is lovely, very soft and good quality. They are expensive new but I bought it second hand from someone from NewRider for £20. There are some very good bargins to be had on second hand tack.

I have just ordered a kp albion comfort bridle as ginger is sensentive around the poll. I wanted good quality well made with the anatomical head piece that the throat last overs over the top of not under.

So I understand where you are coming from. It was expensive but if it helps it will be worth it if there is no change than at least it's pretty

Can I ask what didn't work for you with the Micklem? I've never ridden with one, but was reading about it last night, just curious to know how you found it :)

My pony is very accepting of almost anything you do to her. She just seems to roll her eyes and be thinking "what now?". But I had an extreme (for her) reaction to the Micklem. A lot of head shaking, nose in the air, completely not happy. I had the noseband high up her face to avoid the soft part of her nose, so the only thing I could actually pin it down to was the fact that the lower strap fastens below the bit, almost like a drop noseband ( which I have never used ). She didn't seem to like her mouth being held shut - even when the strap was looser than recommended

I know nothing about bridles :( But equestrian clearance is advertising reduced prices on Stuben bridles at the moment.

newrider.com