Please help.. carriage driving.. asap

Baby_angel

no angel...
Sep 16, 2001
uk
Has anybody ever done it?

I need as much info as i can get on it asap! Including personal opinions etc..

What breeds are best suited to work under harness?
How much does it cost to buy and run a carriage/trap?
Do you prefer 1 horse or 2?
Can it be done in a hilly arena (hehe :rolleyes: :D )?
Any personal experiences?

I'd greatly apperciate your help! cheers

Ax :)

Yes I drive, I used to drive a pair, but you have to start them off in singles first.

A second hand exercise vehicle could be about £300 for a show vehicle the sky's the limit but for show about £1500 to £2000+

Again exercise harness in webbing is about £250+ to buy a bit cheaper second hand. Show full collar harness is about £2000 to buy new.

I don't think there is any "best" breed, they can all do it to lesser or greater degrees, but don't expect an Arab to pull a roadcoach!:D Spindleback gig yes they look beautiful in harness.

Yes it can be done in hilly areas I used to drive in a very hilly area you just get very fit horses and become really good at hill starts.

If you want to see some of the nags go to www.geocities.com/tonkii2000/horses
or www.thordale.co.uk you will see lots of our driving horses there. MOst are Haflingers, some shetlands and a Fjord.

I am hoping to drive my Fjord stallion and mare in pairs this year, we'll see what happens.

Driving is potentially more dangerous than riding as a fall from a horse does not involve the tangle of a vehicle too. There are some basic rules to be observed at all times. If you observe them driving is great fun.

Always carry a whip.
Never canter in harness (unless you and the horses are very good and in a driving trial)
Never allow anyone into the vehicle alone you must be seated and holding the whip and reins.
Always hold the reins in your left hand and the whip in your right, the right hand assists the left. Don't try holding them as if you are riding.

These are just a few.

Why do you need to know?

Last edited:
Thanx Wally your a star!

I need to know for part of the course i am doing and also i have been offered two Fresian horses to use under harness and was seriously tempted to take them on - i have driven a few times but for for a few years so i wanted some info to go on first!

But i dont think i will be able to do it because i have the eventers that i need to concentrate on on behalf of their owners so exercising and competing them is my first priority, then i have just got more land so i need to manage that and oversee the building of the new stabling, horse walker etc! and of course i still have uni and i work part time - oh yeh and i like to sleep, eat and see my boyfriend occassionally too! :rolleyes: :D

thanks again! Ax

Fresians are very good driving horses, but not to learn on! They are animals of high mettle, gentle, but feisty.

Best learn on a ploddy forgiving school master who will not scare you.

Baby_Angel, look back in the posts back through to last year - there are several about carriage driving in there which contain some useful ideas and opinions.

Cheers guys

I have been thinking bout it (whilest stuck in the longest traffic jam known to man kind!) and i dont think i will have time anyway!

I have another eventer arriving on my yard tomorrow which is intermediate which i am very excited about! :D

he is all fit and ready to go so we start competing very soon! yay! you never know this time next year you could be watching me go round badminton!

thanks again!

Ax

newrider.com