PLEASE everyone watch this vid !!!

dragonfarmgirl

Oct 26, 2008
cheshire/shropshire
I am so useless but I want to post a link to youtube for a video called 'Shankers - All Nations Cup Aachen 2011'
You all NEED to see this then post it everywhere you can think of. It is heartbreaking and disgusting and is the reason I will NEVER show my beloved arab baby !!!
It needs to be seen everywhere if anything is to ever change.
Hope someone will help with the link ???

They do it because it is the 'fashion' for arab horses to be shown in an un natural stretched stance with the head in the air. When the handler yanks on the lead a chain jams up into the horses lower jaw so they do it to get the horses head up.
Excessive shanking is supposed to be against the rules but the judges ignore it.
There are Dc's (people who are supposed to stop it) but they either turn a blind eye or are ignored. You can see one DC ( in a hat) bravely standing between the horse and handler but is being totally ignored.
There is so much money and power involved in arab showing that their is alot of intimidation of officials.

The stick is playing a part in their reactions, it's obviously been used in another way behind closed doors, it really doesn't take much to put the fear of God into a horse and a misused whip has that effect..
I've seen show canes used at shows but in a much more acceptable manner.. this is just beyond!:stomp:

I saw this on the Arabian Lines forum - there were actually two vids, one with the full classes and then the one showing all the rough handlers. If you watch the full show there are many handlers who don't behave like this and manage to get the horse to stand with outstretched neck by coaxing and patience (obviously having spent time training beforehand), which proves it doesn't have to be done aggressively like the handlers in this video. I can't imagine why they don't eliminate the rough handlers, it makes no sense.

That has just made my blood boil!

What big men they are, I could get my Shetlands to imitate that pose in 5 minutes with a polo!

Sorry Wally, but to be a 'proper' handler you would have to terrify the horse with the whip before hand, train it with a cattle prod, stick raw ginger up its backside and stand it in a water bath then electric shock it just before the class to wind it up.
You would also have to intimidate, threaten and beat up any official or bystander that complains.
All of the above are NOT uncommon practises.
Seriously though wally, I would love to let you loose on them !!!

i stopped watching after about 10 secs - i'd seen enough :banghead: WHY??? surely it's preferable to see people and horses working together when showing, not a horse being roughly handled, hurt, scared and shoved about?? dire, dire horsemanship at the expense of the poor horses :(

ironically, all the arabs i have known in my time where gentle, highly intelligent and very trainable - it should be easy to get them to stand nicely, no need for such horribe tactics!

There are people in the background clapping... I can't even begin to understand how someone can appreciate this.

Its awful and disgraceful, the handlers should be banned from showing or owning horses. Really distressing to see such magnificant creatures being treated that way.

newrider.com