Planning permission for field shelter

Myfellpony

Mar 15, 2015
I know I need pp for a permanent shelter but I need tips please to get it passed.

I am planning to put it at the top of one of my fields. The field behind this one belongs to someone else, and he has a large barn in the bottom of his field, so the view from the houses on the road will be more or less unchanged, they can currently see a barn, if I get pp, they will see a small field shelter in front of a large barn.

I won’t have to change any gateways etc, I may at some point in the future, put a small enclosure round the field shelter so they have a small hardcore turnout area. but that is long term…short term I can use electric fence if I need to section off an area.

Anything else I need to consider?
and can anyone recommend a company (north west) to supply and install?

Shouldn't really be an issue. check the planning portal and see what the planning is on the barn, as may give you guidance, and also if the council have approved or rejected other field shelters. we found when we built a large stable block that the best thing was to go and see the council and ask what they would recommend, i.e. did they want a traditional wooden block or would they consider a metal shed - they wanted a low level traditional stable block so that's what we built. It was all straightforward, but if you look at schemes they have refused then you get an idea of what they will accept. We used mud control mats on front and inside ours and they worked really well

Is it a field for horse use or agricultural? You may need change of use to horse grazing first.
Then the council may suggest you widen your entrance as your vehicles won't be farming, they will likely involve highways.

Best advice I have is to find out what your land is designated for, check for any other horse related planning, then contact the council.

The field is classed as a small holding. it has been used for grazing for the last 20 years, so no problem there I don’t think. There are currently stables on site, so this field Shelter is needed only because there is no shelter at all once off the stable yard. No trees. No hedges. Nothing. In bad weather I would like peace of mind that they have somewhere dry to go should they want to. They are typically out 6 am to 6 pm in Winter whatever the weather, unless it’s considered dangerous for them.
not sure i understand the point about widening the entrance? The access to this particular field is off my stable yard not off a road, so don’t think this will apply? Please correct me if it is something I need to consider.

I was given to understand when I put up my shelter that if the shelter is mobile (capable of being moved) you don't need planning. My shelter has stood where I put it since I put it there and probably couldn't be moved now, but I've never had any trouble.

Reactions: Myfellpony
The field is classed as a small holding. it has been used for grazing for the last 20 years, so no problem there I don’t think. There are currently stables on site, so this field Shelter is needed only because there is no shelter at all once off the stable yard. No trees. No hedges. Nothing. In bad weather I would like peace of mind that they have somewhere dry to go should they want to. They are typically out 6 am to 6 pm in Winter whatever the weather, unless it’s considered dangerous for them.
not sure i understand the point about widening the entrance? The access to this particular field is off my stable yard not off a road, so don’t think this will apply? Please correct me if it is something I need to consider.
If off your own land and not onto highway you will be fine.
If already have stables, I can't see an issue either.
It's my area that are so ultra fussy than next to nobody has a shelter up.

From what your saying your applying for a permanent stable so the following wont apply.
My understanding is that technically if its a mobile shelter ie on wheels or skids you dont need pp. However if you look on other sites. Some councils are being absolute so and so's and insisting you do need pp even for mobile ones. You cant even put the mobile stable over a solid concrete base in a mobile one. In one case i read they wouldnt even allow paving slabs covered in mats.

But youve just said its registered small holding. Are you cross grazing with other animals if so you might be ok. If not, they may insist on change of use to equestrian. Again its the digression of each council.

Im sure i read a case where by the bit where the stable was going they insisted it needed change of use but rest of land could stay as agricultural.

Have a browse on some sites. Some of the things the councils come up with is ridiculous yet in other areas of the country they dont bat an eyelid.

a lot of councils are not fooled by the trick of a mobile field shelter and treat it as a permanent structure. rather than speculate, you would be better to just ask what their view is and try to comply. you would get away with mud control mats as a floor as they are not permanent whereas concrete is. having said that, we had a shelter at prevous place with a concrete floor and it was objected to by the neighbour who built our house - and barn - and then objected to it on spite. The planners came out, asked about it and decided that everythign was within the curtailage - which it wasn't - and gave us retrospective and walked away.

Each area is so different, best bet is definitely to have a consultation with the planners.
Not sure if I dare say it, none of mine have had planning, at various properties over the years, they don’t seem too fussed round here as long as we don’t have concrete floors as the wooden bit can easily be removed should it need to be 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: carthorse
I live in a green belt and pp in extremely difficult to get for anything, unless you have friends on the council of course.

I’m not even going to look at mobile shelters. I have nothing capable of moving one anyway.
My friend bought the field oppsite my house a couple of years ago. It’s on the main road through the village, whilst mine is set back off the road. She put in pp for stables which was rejected umpteen times, even after appeals, so she bought a mobile shelter. One of my neighbours actually went into her field to check that it was on skids!!

I have different neighbours over looking my yard, but I do know one of them is ‘awkward’ to put it mildly, so I will be doing everything by the book so he has nothing to complain about.

I filled out the form today. Just need to take photos of the site. I have a printout of the type of shelter I want, but not necessarily the exact one as I still need to do some research. so I will pay my fee and go to see the planners for advice.

Hope all goes well. Its so difficult because each council applies rules differently.

Even if you do things by the book some councils will still be super silly and want silly stuff imposed. When we put in for agricultural buildings years ago the council were ridiculous with some of there asks.

Reactions: Trewsers
I know of one place that was asked to plant 100 trees so the houses looking over won't see the sand school. They hadn't even been built at that point!! But they still had to hide it from views.

and this one is on sale on ebay

s-l1600.jpg

you might be away easier with something like this which is 'agricultural' and is not a permanent structure. We got stables up in a conservation area and area of outstanding natural beauty so it is possible
These poly tunnel things are useless, a friend had the big heavy duty version and it didn’t even make it through one winter. The first storm it pulled all its ground ties out and it flipped over, so they then secured it to a fence and in the second storm it’s frame buckled.

These poly tunnel things are useless, a friend had the big heavy duty version and it didn’t even make it through one winter. The first storm it pulled all its ground ties out and it flipped over, so they then secured it to a fence and in the second storm it’s frame buckled.
never used one our little frame with tarp has lasted 20 years and been moved twice when we moved and is still going strong, sadly they now make them in wood only as the metal was too expensive but you could construct something strong with scaffolding poles and then cover with tarp, or use the Heras panels they use on building sites to make an e shape and cover with tarp. we use it for our hen run as it is foxproof. Again you would need to stake them down but these are temporary structures so might be a way out001 (2019_11_01 15_03_43 UTC).jpg

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't use scaffolding or herras covered in tarp for horses. A few itches could result in a collapse and seriously injured horse. I know mine can take a gate off scratching her bottom.
I would stick with a horse friendly structure.

newrider.com