Planning a riding holiday - suggestions anyone?

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Well, for one reason and another I am becoming determined to do a riding holiday next year.

I crave a trip where I am doing something useful, and round ups are really appealing. I love the idea of being part of a team and accomplishing something, not just hacking to look at the view. This will mean lots of training for me as the saddle days are long, but that will be good for me and for Ziggy! We kicked off today with a brisk hour and a half hack in walk and trot and will do longer ones whenever we have the time.

Where to go? The USA is obvious, but it is a long way and I very much dislike jet lag when I'm riding, so it would probably require too long an absence to be really viable. I'd like to look in Europe, Africa and Western Asia (rules out Mongolia alas). So far I know of trips like this on Dartmoor, in Iceland and in South Africa. Can anyone suggest anything, has anyone done anything like this?

An alternative would be a point to point holiday like the one across the Highlands of Scotland http://www.highlandsunbridled.co.uk. Again, if anyone has any suggestions or experience I'd be very interested.

I haven't told my husband yet but he is planning to be abroad teaching yoga for upwards of 6 weeks next year so I reckon he owes me :biggrin:

There is actually somewhere here in Devon that does a cattle drive of sorts - I can't remember what it is called, but I am sure if you googled it.

I thought that would be fab fun to do.

How fantastic!! If I was you and you can afford to do it I would go the whole hog and definitely go abroad to do it. It will add to the whole experience of a different climate, different cultures and you will in fact learn how things are done 'different' with horses to over here. What an experience and imagine how much you will learn.

Also, for me it can sometimes be easier to swallow up the way another country does something if you don't quite agree with it. There would be nothing worse than coming away from somewhere in England feeling that you weren't happy with the way they did certain things. I'm not saying this would happen but worth a thought. I also fear here you may feel it's just a 'normal' riding holiday so to speak.

Do it, Do it, Do it - It will be an amazing experience!!

None of this answers anything you asked because I don't know of anywhere but I just think it's sooo exciting so had to add my thoughts...:redface:

For something a bit nearer to home I really fancy this one

http://www.lusitanocymru.co.uk/HTMLs/Classical_Lessons.html

Because I only want to go on a horse holiday if I can bring my own horse, but also I would absolutely love to have a lesson on a classically trained Lusitano :inlove: so in an ideal world where I had loads of spare time and money I'd go with Raf and book some lessons on the Lusitanos while Raf had a rest!

Good luck with your search, I'm sorry I've no experiences to share but I'm looking forward to hearing about yours.

For many years the place I hankered after riding at is outside Seville - and combined lessons with hacking. Not a whole day trek. Epona Highly recommended by some one I once knew on NR. A non horsey OH can accompany just for the holiday. But you would need to check whether it still exists.

Linda on NR recommended me http://www.dosolivos.com/

As for working with Cattle . OH would love to do that again. But in practise it can be hard to find because the rounding up of cattle tends to be for a purpose on a working ranch and just a high light for some (not all) trips and for advanced riders.
What we did was cattle penning and I did start to look for possibilities. It is fun and you are learning so improving each day. I do agree you need to allow a couple of days for jet lag in the USA before getting into a car or onto a horse.

I didnt pursue riding holidays as was very happy sharing and then reunited with Maisie and stopped wanting to ride outside the UK, partly on safety grounds. OH and I dont want to ride all day every day and we dont much like full board and being a captive clientele on a remote ranch. Some of the best places are very remote!
Others with websites that look like a working ranch, are really just Motels with stables attached where anyone can drop in and go on a quiet trail ride, which was nice for us, passing through on a long USA trip, but wouldnt be what you are looking for.
There is a place in the Argentine too I would love to go but it is a long long way!

www.inthesaddle.com

Have a look here, they're seem to be lots of destinations including guest ranches, although they are limited to USA, South Africa and South America or they've got Working Ranch/Cattle Drives or even how about Safari.

Haven't got time to look in depth and no idea on prices but there seems to be lots of different places and types of holidays so it may just give you some more ideas :biggrin:

I'm not obsessed or anything...honest :giggle: But how about a sponsored challenge ride overseas - I think I might like to do one of these one day. Lots of charitys do them but most are just treks. How about this though:

Herding Icelandic horses run by British Horse Society :smile:

Iceland - The Viking Challenge

Geysers, volcanos and tolting in the land of fire and ice

Next ride dates: 16-23 August 2014
Places available

It is no surprise that The Viking Challenge is one of our most popular rides. Challengers experience not only a new country, but a new pace: the Icelandic horses’ unique gait, the tolt. With scenery including black sands, lava fields and volcanoes, the trip is like nothing you will have experienced before. The stunning surroundings and amazing horses provide an amazing reward for the dedicated fundraising leading up to the trip.

What is The Viking Challenge?

Riders will be involved in herding up to 100 Icelandic horses, which is an amazing sight. The varied terrain means you never have a chance to get bored and there is always something new to see. One previous rider described The Viking Challenge as having "amazing scenery, fabulous horses and overall a challenging, unforgettable experience." So you don’t just have to take our word for it!

I've no idea what these rides are like but I'm enjoying the dream....

Linda on NR recommended me http://www.dosolivos.com/

Yes, I can still recommend Dos Olivos - I had a look at the website the other day and they're still going - some of the horses my daughter worked with as youngsters are grown up now. But it's not a working holiday - it's dressage lessons and hacking.

It's worth googling working holiday riding horses - you get some interesting results, although not all working on horseback.

I have no recommendations (although I agree Iceland sounds fab with the combination of horses and geology) but feel free to drop the gorgeous Ziggy off here for a holiday whilst you are away :wink:

newrider.com