plaiting

xox stace xox

Honey's Golden Surprise
Oct 23, 2006
ok i have a few shows planned this year, and its the first time i will be plaiting my girls mane - shes a haflinger but for various reasons (rug rubs) ive had to pull and neaten her mane, so will have to be plaited for shows (only local level)

so should i plait the night before or on the day

oim often very nervous on the morn of a show and tend to rush about, so would doing it the day before be possible or would it come out and look untidy ?

Some people manage to plait the day before with thread and fix it very tightly, put a fixer on it and a hood over the top and it stays in reasonably well. I've never managed it, despite doing tight plaits with thread they end up rubbed or with bits of hay/bedding in them and I end up re-doing them.

If I were you I'd practice plaiting as much as you can before so that you get confident and quick. The night before separate the mane into the number of plaits you want with rubber bands and put a hood or neck cover on if you have one. Get up at least an hour earlier on the morning of the show and do your plaits. Try to get to the yard when it's quiet and no-one else is around to distract you if possible.

Good luck.

my friend plaits for me!

we have a snuggy hood thingy for him so if we aren't doing turnout class, he plaits the night before for me and we put on the "hood"

if we are doing turnout class - to be fair, he plaits in the morning for me so they remain very very tidy

gizmo has real issues with hes forlock and behind hes ears (so bad i have on one occasion sedated him to be able to plait, ) sooo knowing that i will be easily stressed out in the morning i plait the worst areas the night before. plait them wet and use a ton of hair gel and they should stay in fine.

I usually separate the mane into bunches the night before and then plait in the morning. :)

newrider.com