Plaiting

Mistertron

Late Starter
Feb 11, 2007
Nottingham
Anyone have any tips on plaiting manes and tails for shows?? pics would be good.

I'm going to give it a go on Ria who has a lovely blonde mane (when i brush it!) but her tail is a bit of a nightmare!

wash a few days before, if you do it the day before the hairs to clean and slippy.
if your worried how long it will take put it into bunches the day before. always wet each plait, and hair gel will help to keep the wet look and stop any little hairs sticking out.

My top tip is dont plait the night before!We had an early early show one time so to save time i decided to plait up the night before,9done this loads of times)left said horse neatly done and rugged up at 11.30 pm,went back at 4 am to get loaded etc,all appeared fine,loaded horses up and went to show,got there,unloaded,took rugs/neck protectors off and horse had rubbed 3/4 of his mane off:eek:
spent ages sewing his plaits back in to the few whisps that were left on!Never did that again,just got up an hour earlier instead!
x

I would pull tail rather than plaiting it. Is more fashionable than plaiting. As one of my yard friends said (who has been showing for years and done well!) "plaiting is very 80's!! Until I started showing last year and constantly picker her brains I had no idea there were fashions, but there are! You can use a razor comb (like I do) if pulling bothers you or your horse.

Do it gradually as well. I always start pulling a few weeks before a show then just keep on top of it. I have been known to get a bit carried away with a mane and at least this way it can grow a bit if you do.

I have a snuggy hood turnout hood. I plait the night before and then put this on. Is a lycra hood with a silky bit for the mane so its hard for them to rub it and pull plaits out. My advice is make sure it fits! This is my second one as the first one I bought was a cheap lycra one (not snuggy hoods) and he got it over his head and roound his neck and distroyed his plaits, so waste of time!

I dont wet the mane or use gell as its too wet to work with, but this is the norm. Dont use main or tail spray less than a day before you plait. It does make it lovely and silky and easy to comb, but too slippery for plaitng the mane. Use it after plaiting if you want.

Some people section off (odd nos) first then plait. I know some poeple who section and plait as they go. This is up to you really. I find sectioning first helps me make sure the sections are equal sizes. Nothing worse than one or two big fat ones and lots of thin ones!!!

If you are showing then thread is best and will hold them in tight. I always use thread if plaiting the night before a show. If Im off to local dressage I cheat and use bands and plaiting tape as its quicker, but tend to do it in the morning as I enter the later dressage classes.

Leave an hour for mane plaiting as there is nothing worse than rushing. I take about 1/2 hour now for good plaits but this took some time. Im sure many more people can do it quicker, but Im getting there! Plaiting with thread does take longer than bands.

Have your horse either eating his feed or standing settled. Mine will normally fall asleep! but if I give him a hay net the action of him pulling out the hay jerks his head about and annoys me!

Hope this helps. Sorry for the essay!!

I'd only plait the night before if you use one of those lyrea hoods like the dress circle horsewear ones and it keeps them in place and not fuffed up and bedding and hay seeds don't get in them then:D

here is a picture of my mares tail i did for fun one day i was bored lol...tho obiously dont plaite right down to the bottom...just to the end of the bone

tail.jpg

newrider.com