Plaiting problemo...!!!

crazyhorse97

nervous nellie...
well the thing is JAs has a really thick mane, but i dont really want to pull it because it suits her like this...but i am entering a jumping show and she needs to be plaited. I'm not the best at plaiting pulled manes so any suggestions as how to do nice looking plaits on a fuller mane ( i did think about doing a trelace but decided it probably wouldnt really suit her!)

her fatness is prominant here!!!
http://bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?PhotoAlbumId=2212549225&PhotoId=2212585513

Closer up on mane!
http://bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?PhotoAlbumId=2212549225&PhotoId=2212584461

hope the links work!!

thanks
xXx

Last edited:
You don't need to plait for SJ, but It does look nicer...

If you don't pull the mane, and its really bushy, you are going to have plaites the size of a country:D

Think of something else if you are not going to pull, like doing plaits over night, and then un doing them so its curly, or get some hair straighteners:D

Dont laugh, Ive tried that:D :D

What about a french plait (one sided) along the length of her crest?

i want to do one but i cant ever do French plaits..even in human hair!!!

and im not laughing..i like the 'crimped' idea..it would probably suit her!!! Thing is...if i turn her out overnight with plaits they willed go all dodegy and messed up...she doesnt have a stable!!!

i was thinking i really should plait because i need all my control and mane is sooooooooo long i think i would probably loose my reins in it and get run away with!
xXx

Mane is good to take hold of over a jump if you loose balance though ;) Is there anything saying you HAVE to plait?

There Is no way you are going to be able to plait that long mane. I would suggest you plait over night, who cares if shes turned out and it gets messy, then un do before the show and wallar!!! Lovely long mane!!

It wont get in the way, and there is no way I would pull it, its toooooo lush!!!!

I had a horse that when I got him his mane had never been pulled and it was soooo fat! :eek: I tried, but gave up. My plaits were always huge, but somehow I managed to get them to look rather nice. I think my secret was making the divide between the plates gradually get smaller towards the withers so that it looks like they shrink in size towards it. Don't know if that makes sense..?

So in other words, if you haven't pulled the mane, there is no way you can hide it, you can't make the plaits look any smaller, but you can cheat by making them appear to be part of the neck and they also give your horse a bit curvier neck too if done the way I did..? I don't think I am explaining this really well.. :p And sorry, don't have any pictures to clear that either. Just to say it is possible to make them look nice even if they are big!

Nina x

Looking at the pics i think she would look alright left unplaited if you give it a brush. I can do the french plait thing in manes and i'm usualy hopeless at that sort of thing! Someone else may be able to explain it, i doubt i could :p

Could you do a couple of long plaits like this(they'd been in for a few days-they didn't start off quite so messy!)?
100_1123.jpg

I cna' do french plaits on people but this is suprisingly easy - I do a variation of it looking like this, really high at the top of her neck and also one of these starting at each end of her neck and ending in two plaits in the middle.(If that makes any sense at all? :p )
100_0530.jpg

This was a first attempt so please excuse dodgyness ;)
DSC00103.jpg

I might be able to help with the french plait type one. I've managed it before but no promises that I could again though. :eek: :p

Hopefully; here's a pic showing one I've done before. :cool:

plaited mane.jpg

ETA - Computer sorted itself out. Sorry!

Last edited:
newrider.com