Piriton for horses? someone please respond ...

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
angel is itchy has hell at the moment. vet cant bring the prescription hayfever tablets (atarax) until some time next week.

have heard some people give their horses piriton (eg the human hayfever stuff) with good results. just wondering, what sort of dosage do you give?? how many tablets? (she had 8 atarax in the morning and 8 atarax for dinner when she was on those ...).

Julia
x

yes i've used it before on both my boys- i use the liquid stuff though- think it was about 50mls which is about 1/2 small bottle if i remember right- pill wise i was told approx 8-10 for a 15.2h horse.

six tablets sounds reasonable considering the amount she had when she was on Atarax. might just give it a try (ring vet again...) getting desperate, i really am :eek:

Julia
x

RVC have a pharmacist if you cannot get hold of the vet ask to speak to her -she was very helpful when I needed assistance regarding the dose of sedalin.

Had a quick hunt through the vet literature:

Equine dose for hydroxyzine (Atarax) is 0.5 - 1mg/kg two - three times daily. Assuming that you are using the 25mg tablets, current dose is 200mg. Dosed at 0.5mg/kg that makes pone around 400kg.

Usual dose for chlorphenamine (Piriton) in equines is 0.25mg/kg given twice a day, so 100mg twice a day = 25 x 4mg tablets :eek: It is very sedating in comparison to hydroxyzine so would be tempted to try a smaller dose. Have seen folk use a dose of 10 tablets with good effect. Best thing is to speak to your vet first.

The other one that seems to be used is the doxepin, which is mostly used as an antidepressant in humans but is also an effective antihistamine. Dose of that is 0.5mg - 0.75mg/kg twice a day. That is prescription only so you would have to get through your vet or from the pharmacy with a prescription. They come in 50mg capsules so would only need four capsules twice a day.

ETA worth looking for an alternative as there are going to be ongoing supply problems with Atarax

I gave Tia 8 piriton twice a day for hives - I think they didhave an effect, but they may have just gone down naturally anyway.
Our vet doesn't think there's any point giving horses antihistamines as he doesn't think they work, but I'm not sure.

thanks for the info :) atarax is prescription only as well. she was on 16 tabs a day when she got those ones. the atarax did have quite a sedating effect on her if i remember rightly.

what are the supp,y problems with atarax? i was unaware of that.

Julia
x

As someone who has taken both for myself for Hay fever and Eczema Atarax and Piriton are very different drugs and had very different effects on me.

RVC seem to be prescribing Ucerax now for allergies now it's Hydroxyzine too. ( at least that's what 3 on our yard are on), if vet says it is OK for Angel to have some of that I have loads in stock which you could borrow till they can deliver. But only if the vet says it's OK.

My horse had atarax in the past, she too was on 8 twice daily. I felt they didnt really do much. That was 2 years ago and then I moved to a different yard and had no problems for 2 years upto about 2 months ago, when my mare started rubbing herself raw. Vet put her on antihistamines again, this time Ucerax at a higher dose of 12 twice a day. Again they didnt really seem to do much and both the atarax & ucerax showed no signs of causing sedation. Look around on line because atarax were available and seemed to work out cheaper than ucerax. I also tried Cetirizine (piriteze) after I found an article on the net about a study on these in horses. I cant remember the dose now, think I started her on 10 twice daily. AGain they didnt seem to help for mine though.

bit off topic here (sorry) but its friday night...ive had a drink (or few) and i read this title as;

"prison for horses...."

yes....i was confused for a second.

@ rosie: what was your horse getting it for?sweet itch?random lumps ad welts?

and yes .... prison for horses. hmm. we had an incident at the yard once where a girl got collected by an ambulance helicopter after falling off (she was okay, thank god!). for some reason a policeman turned up at the yard and inspected the culprit (a sweet little pony ...)!

Julia
x

Hi again. I had owned my mare 9 years with no problems, then in 2005 she started itching on her back and would rub on the trees. The vet saw her and she had antibiotics, shampoo, cream & atarax to help with the itching. She was on them most of that summer and I thought they did help at first. We just put it down to the hot weather. The following year April 2006, she started again, rubbing in exactly the same place, again had same treatment and was referred to a dermatologist. She had intra dermal tests and it was found that her main allergies were midges & mosquitoes. Prior to the tests, she wasnt allowed antihistamines for 10 days and when I took her off them, she was no different to when she was on them. They said she also had some more minor pollen allergies, but if I sorted out the fly problem she should improve. I moved to my present yard in Aug 2006 and as I said she has been great, uptil 2 months ago when she started scratching, starting with her tail this time. Vet put her on ucerax straight away - 24 a day, but I didnt see any improvement. I was washing her itchy bits in malaseb, using various repellants etc. It was a few weeks later when she also showed signs of feather mites. I used frontline twice, but she was no better. I was convinced the mites had travelled up onto her belly. Vet saw her last Mon, gave dectomax inj and I am slowly seeing signs of improvement. Even my vet said she does not seem to deal with itching very well and because of the mites aswell , everythings gone a bit 'haywire'. I have just ordered a product called stopitall - look at www.karenruggles.co.uk so am hoping for good results with that.

I ordered some stopitall when frankie got hives and bathing him with it seemed to help though didn't get rid of them completely.
I use the oil as a fly repellent and it does seem to work. People are pretty divided on the smell - I quite like it.

We never did work out what he was allergic too and as he in now back on all feeds and supplements the initial diagnosis of a food allergy seems unlikely. My current vet thinks it was something in the atmosphere and I may never know or it may come back at the same time next year.

seems quite tricky to diagnose allergies. angel had all sorts of tests for her asthma a few years back but nothing feasible came out of it ... frustrating isnt it?

(and i have to say again that mr frankie looked ever so well earlier!)

Julia
x

Thank you :D we had a lovely little hack and had fun snorting loudly at the footballers just to make sure they stayed on their side of the hedge.

MY friend uses piriton tablets for her mare of 15.2hh she uses 5tabs am and 5 tabs pm, so far has helped a lot this year,

newrider.com