Pig oil + sweet itch

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
Right. Long story short - I have had to move silver to a very wet field for dieting/catching/happiness purposes. (Dry diet field unhappy, big field difficult to catch for muzzling routine with shift work).

She seems to be coping pretty well with it, but was wondering about using the pig oil over her back legs as a barrier - tempted to just put vaseline or similar on, but this is where she is really itchy and boviously rug doesnt cover here! She itches when she is damp particularily badly, so I dont know if oiling will prevent them and the water from getting to her skin... any opinions v welcome!! :D

We mix pig oil with sulphur powder and apply to our shires feathers and legs it seems to do the trick so far, fingers crossed. I have never used it for sweet itch, but have used it on its own as a mane and tail detangler. If its just her legs give them a good basting and rub it in well (like the christmas turkey). we have also used cooking oil but your horse will smell like a chip shop!! we don't wash or brush the legs until it is really necessary. I wouldn't recommend putting it on the body it could make your horse a bit slippery!!

I use pig oil all the time, it's a fine oil and can be put into an empty fly repellant spray bottle for easy use. I use it liberally on manes, tails and feathers. Mixed with sulphur it gets rid of heel mites and if used lightly, (applied with a sponge) it adds a gleam to the coat and it is supposed to deter midges (I don't think it makes much difference, benzyl benzoate is better). I haven't ridden after I've used it so check that it doesn't make your horse slippery.

newrider.com