Pictures of my rabbits babies!

ForestGump

Apr 9, 2008
Hampshire
I thought I would share with you the pictures from when my rabbit had her kits.
These were from June 2007. (She didn't have a litter in 2008 but hopefully will this year)

asstd037.jpg

Spice (the doe)

newborns.jpg

6 healthy kits.

Unfortunatly she paniced when they were born (it was her first litter) and over groomed the first baby, unfortunatly this baby developed blood poisoning and then died. :(
Then one fell out the nest and I didn't find it to the next morning. But she still had 4 left.

mocha.jpg

Mocha

babe.jpg

Babe. Babe was a lucky little kit. She was born with 3 feet and was missing a toe on the back foot she did have (She had 2 front feet and one back foot).
babe2.jpg

Babe a couple of weeks old.

Picture011.jpg

Slightly older

4kits.jpg

The four that survived. They were hoping around by this stage but were having a nap! ;)

Unfotunatly they inherited a heart condition from there dad. Their hearts didn't grow with their bodies, so one by one they just fell asleep and didn't come round. All but one died in this way.

Babe wasn't so lucky. She hoped around with three feet and was also deaf and blind, but she didn't know any different and coped very well. She had some form of epilepsy we think and within the last few days really struggled. One day she had a huge fit and then fell asleep and slipped away.

So Mocha was the last to fall asleep. Spice mourned for a while, none of her babies made it past 6 weeks old.

This year she will be having another litter, one will be named after Babe. Even though she struggled with less feet and no sight or hearing she always seemed to cope. And she suffered the most. I wish she could have fallen asleep with no fits. :eek:

RIP little kits

ETA: Sorry realised that turned out to be quite a sad thread!

ETA 2: I don't recommend handling the kits this young, but I knew the doe very well and she was completely fine with me picking them up breifly, she was always present at the side of the nest when I handled them and she never growled or tried to go for me, but she did watch me carefully. The reason they were handled was because it was her first litter and I had to keep checking she wasn't over grooming them (making them sore) and that she was feeding them (checking for full bellies).

Last edited:
they are born bald!!! look at their little ears! they look so much nicer when hairy, fingers crossed for this year :)

they are born bald!!! look at their little ears! they look so much nicer when hairy, fingers crossed for this year :)

Yes, they are born bald and blind and deaf. By week one their fur starts to grow and then their eyes and ears open so they can see and hear.

In the picture of the newborns, the pink one is Babe, she looked like a piglet when she was born so I named her after the film.

They do look nicer with fur, but I love the fact that you can tell their colour by the patterns on their skin when they are born! :D

I don't recommend breeding them, especially as you got defects out of them. What are you actually breeding them for?

Spice is a pedigree show rabbit, I breed her to sell the babies to showing and breeding homes. She comes from good breeding and good show stock (she one the one show she went to).

The defect was from the father, who wasn't show quality.

This year she will be bred to a show rabbit to produce some babies for showing :)

ahh what a sad story.

If you have good homes for the new ones to go to then fine...but TBH i'm also with the rabbit forum and there are soo many bunny's out there needing new homes at the moment. I rescued my last bun from she was first in 'a breeding home' she was of good show stock...she was 10 weeks old I was her 4th home.

she was neglected left in a tiny filthy hutch.

But shes with me and my other two buns all are spayed and very happy.

If all these problems happened with this litter it might not be a good idea to breed from her, don't you think?
We breed dogs and if a litter ever turned out like this we defiantly wouldn't breed from either of them again. As there are so many pets looking for homes at the min don't you think I would be best not to have any for awhile?
Sorry if this seems harsh and I don't propose to know anything in particular about rabbits other than they're tasty.

If all these problems happened with this litter it might not be a good idea to breed from her, don't you think?
We breed dogs and if a litter ever turned out like this we defiantly wouldn't breed from either of them again. As there are so many pets looking for homes at the min don't you think I would be best not to have any for awhile?
Sorry if this seems harsh and I don't propose to know anything in particular about rabbits other than they're tasty.

They are bred to be show rabbits, not for pets. I breed her with Spotted mini rexes (dalmation) as she carries a gene that means she produces dalmation mini rexes (which are uncommon).

The defaults were caused by the father, not by her. I don't own the buck, so I can't comment on whether he will continue breeding, but my doe has nothing wrong with her so will continue to breed :)

And I already have homes lined up for the babies once they are ready to leave her. ;)

Ok, well I hope they can be pets as well as that would be missing a good opportunity. :)

Great news that you have homes lined up for the babies, they must be something special!!;)
Good luck with the new batch and hope you don't have any problems with the new ones.

I have rescue dalmation mini rexes. Not that uncommon.

They are uncommon in my area and many breeders are looking for them, I have a doe that carries the gene so I can produce them and sell them.

Dalmation standard rexes are very common, dalmation mini rexes aren't all that common, especially in my area.

Oh my god ... they are soooo cute ..
I love bunnies ... I have also 2 at home, but they are huge ;)
I would love to have another bunny at home :)

newrider.com