Pics, injury, updates

shaka

Jul 22, 2003
Manchester
www.amyderber.com
The bay is Odin who is currently with me for breaking. I've had him a week tomorrow but most of our time together has been working on his ground manners, which are appalling. He was extremely bolshy and had no concept of how to be lead properly but he's come a long way, leading very well and now very light on the ground. Bit of a rearing issue but working on it.
The tacked up pictures are of his first time with a saddle. Since taking the pictures I've leant over him, which he didn't love but soon came round to the idea. Was aiming to get on him today but yesterday's events got in the way. Please no tack crit.
IMG_3986.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg

IMG_3999.jpg

IMG_3997.jpg

IMG_3977.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

The chestnut with the stripe is my own horse, Troy. The fields opened yesterday for summer and whilst leading my 4yo 16.2hh sport horse who hasn't been turned out in a field for a very long time, with a standard lead rope and no hat or gloves, he couldn't contain his excitement and skipped past me. As he did he carried the arm that was holding the lead rope forward and across my body as he kicked out, catching me square on and lifting me off the ground. As I hit the ground I was absolutely certain I'd broken my ribs - which I've done before - and my arm and could quite clearly feel the break in my arm. Luckily everyone else had turned their horses out just before, heard the thud and came running as I very calmly gasped at them to call an ambulance and tell them my arm was broken. Very quickly worked out I was just winded and the ribs were fine - probably cushioned by the arm. Went equally quickly into shock for a short spell but otherwise stayed very calm and smiley re-checking my motion and sensitivity till the morphine-carriers arrived and stretchered me off the field and into the back of an ambulance. The morphine-carriers introduced me at the hospital: "This is Amy. She breaks horses, horses break Amy."

By some (possibly barefoot) miracle and despite being 5ft and 8st wet through, no breaks. Just a lot of tissue damage. Was given a sling and told to take it easy for a few weeks. "No chance mate - I work with horses."
I was meant to jump a horse today I've just started competing (I'm sure you'll meet her soon) but text the owner from the back of the ambulance to let her know. When I found out it wasn't broken I let her know I'd be alright to ride today - thankfully she saw sense where I couldn't and declined, saying she'd send me the details for the next one. Anyway, very happy as pain I can deal with but a break really would have been very inconvenient.

It did make me very nervous bringing him in and turning him out today though. :unsure:

Troy
IMG_3995.jpg

Playing in the paddock
With new friend Lorrie
IMG_4008.jpg

IMG_4006.jpg

IMG_4004.jpg

More to come.

Last edited:
I think I love Odin...:inlove:

Ouchy for the injuries though...Lovely pictures as well Shaka especially that buck:help:

Last edited:
That must hurt soooooo much, you are a much tougher nut than me, I reckon I'd still be whimpering with pain now! You have some beautiful horses around you, just take it at least a little bit easy until you've started to mend a bit.

The only time I have been winded I thought I was going to die :eek: only a shetland involved too :redcarded:

So pleased you didn't break anything :happy:

Oh sounds a real 'OUCHEY' glad it wasn't any worse.

We all take risks everyday without even thinking about it and I suspect you aren't the first to be caught like this and probably won't be the last.

Beautiful Photos........take care and look after that arm, don't be in too much of a rush to start riding again, give yourself some time to heal and the bruising to come out.

Sorry to hear about the injury but very silly of you, you of all people should now better...

But on to the photo's love Troy just how handsome can one horse be. Love the rearing picture it is like the other horse is saying 'really is that how high you can go, it not that impressive' he he

Sorry to hear about the injury but very silly of you, you of all people should now better...

It's absolutely true but I've found myself saying 'I really do know better' an embarrassing amount lately.

Beautiful Photos........take care and look after that arm, don't be in too much of a rush to start riding again, give yourself some time to heal and the bruising to come out.

I gave it 24 hours :eek: Those horses aren't going to school/break themselves!

However I have been slowly losing the sensation in my fingers and think it's spreading up my hand....

Odin update - Have been leaning over him for a few days and sat up on him on Monday. Bit of a jump but otherwise fine just standing there. Yesterday did the same, asked him to back up, absolutely fine. Asked him to go forward and he took off like a shot and 'wall of death'ed it round the arena a few times as I held on to his side like Spider-Woman. Thankfully no bucking and once he'd well and truly come to a settled stop got off as couldn't hang on one-handed anymore - yes, bad Shaka. Went back a step today with join-up and back to leaning over, will get on him again tomorrow with someone leading and see if it's helped. Or made it worse, either or!

Dare I say it....I really do know better!

Odin is stunning and I especially like the pictures with his tongue sticking out!

Did I miss something? Why did Troy kick you? Just high spirits? Eeek. Horrible.

As for losing sensation in the fingers, keep them wiggling and GO BACK TO THE HOSPITAL if it goes on. Nerve damage is not nice.

Gorgeous pics!! But OUCH for the injury, it must've been so painful! Hope you get better soon :happy:

newrider.com