Pickle has his wolf tooth removed!

Tots N Dots

Nov 27, 2005
Planet Pickle
well I have been having a bit of a problem bringing Pickle back into work, he is an angel in a headcollar, but ooooh, put the bridle on and he is a little devil lol, I did have a feeling that something wasnt right, so out comes Mr Dentist, I didnt say anything was wrong and it was just for a checkup, he did try boxing the dentist with those very agile front hooves of his :eek: and that was just during the checkup lol.
well it turns out poor Mr Pickle is having trouble with a wolf tooth, so today it was removed, and oh boy does he seem happier now, but I am leaving the bridle out of the equasion for a few days,
Funny thing is I found out his twin had hers out a few weeks ago too :D the very same tooth :eek:
so here is Mr Pickles tooth
wolftooth.jpg

Don't forget to put it under his pillow... so the tooth-fairy can come!!!! :) Hope he's a lot better with bridle from now on!!! :) Once the owy is healed! ;)

:eek: never thought of that, I suppose she can leave him an apple :D

dont know about owy? he was bouncing (literally) about scoffing his hay 5 minutes after. bless him :D

It probably was hurting him... so it was instant relief!!! It's amazing how something so simple as a tooth... can make all the difference in their attitude... poor guy... after all they can't talk to tell us what's the matter... But the fact that he's happy ... is a good sign... :)

My boy has blind wolf teeth that I am to keep and eye on. Can I ask, was he fully sedated during the extraction? How long did it take?

he wasnt sedated at all, but he was twitched, mainly as he likes to box with his front feet at times :rolleyes: , we like to call him "a little opinionated" ;)
toothpeg was out in about 15 seconds?

apparently some dont come out as easy, but they said it would be like haveing a huge splinter in his gum that was being irritated :eek: no wonder he was a bit grumpy, I am so glad I made the decision not to put his bridle on till he had been checked

Oh OK, it's maybe because his are blind that I would need a vet and sedation - I guess they would need to split his gums before even trying to get them out:eek: .

They dont seem to bother him anyway, but I am prodding them a lot to see if they ever start.

Oh OK, it's maybe because his are blind that I would need a vet and sedation - I guess they would need to split his gums before even trying to get them out:eek: .

They dont seem to bother him anyway, but I am prodding them a lot to see if they ever start.
sorry I am not sure what you mean by blind?

the fact Pickles came out so easily points towards it having been a problem apparently? so little root would have caused it to wiggle about?

obviously I dont know if he will be better with his bridle as I havent put it on yet, but I am hopeing we have sorted the matter :D

Blind is where they remain a lump under the skin, and never pop through to the surface. Wolf teeth have notoriously small roots, and the resultant 'wobble' makes them particualrly annoying if the bit touches them. I can even wobble Oscar's lumps very slightly, though because they arent through the skin stablisises them more than if they were full teeth.

Yes...can you tell I had a big lecture from the EDT and am now wolf tooth expert! Just wish I knew what to do though. EDT and vet say leave them unless they appear to trouble him, but he isnt the type of horse to tell me if something is troubling him I dont think - too well behaved!

Thug had his out last summer, i had to wait 10 days before i could ride him

it took him a while to realise his wolfe tooth wasn't there any more, after a couple of weeks i started to notice a huge improvement:D
t'is all good :)

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't investigated Indy's mouth since I've had her. As a nipper in the early days I kept well away from that part of her body but now that she is more settled I really should desensitize her to having her mouth and teeth examined...

I shall probably be posting a photo of my hands with various digits missing and bruising to show you how "successful" I have been, in due course!!! ;)

ETA - whoops! Completely forgot to ask you to give gorgeous Pickle a kiss better (on his non-sore side, of course!!!) from me . xxx

Last edited:
I had Jess's out in November 2005, she was only 2 but I wanted to start with her bitting work and I could see there was a wolf tooth there so I had it out before we did any serious bitted work :D Bo's I left and 'kept an eye on' and before we knew it he wasn't happy and started rearing, so I would much rather just have them whipped out before we even start now.

Bo's came out in seconds, he did have a light sedation for his. With Jess the vet (I know, I have an EDT now but old vet before we moved was great) really messed up first day he sedated her to look then realised he didnt have the right equiptment (even though he was booked for the wolf tooch removal), day 2 he sedated her and had again forgotten the equiptment and tried to dig the (suprisingly deep routed) tooth out with a hyperdermic needle :mad: and spent over an hour trying before giving up :eek: :mad: and day 3 she was sedated again and with the right equiptment managed to get the tooth out in about 10 mins. Poor girl wasn't the best about her mouth before, he sure didn't help he made a right mess of her :(

I would leave pickle a week if you can before bitting him again, that way it should have completely healed up and not be sore/bruised anymore.

J x

awww, poor pickles :)

angel had hers pulled out two years ago (at the grand age of 13 ... dentist was amazed that a) she grew them in the first place and b) they were still there!). unfortunately *i* felt too queasy (ahem ahem ... youd think they pulled MY teeth out, not hers) to remember taking angel's gnashers home :eek:

Julia
x

:eek: I think it must have really been bothering him :eek:
all he has done since it was removed is "bounce" and I can tell its happy bouncing not grumpy bouncing.
I did ask about bit/working him and was told it came out so easy that I could work him straight away, but I am a sop and he is my baby so will give him a few days, Dentist did say that Pickle might not realise it has gone straight away, but as I say, !!!bounce!!!
I really do hope this was the problem and that he is happier with his bit now :D
then we will have nice photos of us longlineing and riding :D

ooooh sooooo funny
just had to add
OH just saw the photo on the screen
he said
"OMG you havent put it on Ebay have you?"
Bev said "NO! its MY Pickle tooth"

:eek: I think it must have really been bothering him :eek:
all he has done since it was removed is "bounce" and I can tell its happy bouncing not grumpy bouncing.
I did ask about bit/working him and was told it came out so easy that I could work him straight away, but I am a sop and he is my baby so will give him a few days, Dentist did say that Pickle might not realise it has gone straight away, but as I say, !!!bounce!!!
I really do hope this was the problem and that he is happier with his bit now :D
then we will have nice photos of us longlineing and riding :D

Wooo! Sounds as though he is much happier, although we dont like toothache do we! :p

Lol to your OH, who would want Pickles tooth (except you seeing as hes yours of course!! :p)

Ah, poor Pickle. Hope he's OK now:)

I can't believe he wasn't sedated:eek: .

The vet removed Indi's, when he had his boys bits removed. She said it was better to do it all at once, than to sedate him again, at a later date.

Did Pickle only have one? Does that mean he's got another, on the way:confused:

newrider.com