Piccolo's backing blog + 1st ridden pics

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
Ok, well this is kind of a little way through as Piccolo has already done the following.

- lunging (in walk and trot to understand voice commands)
- long reining (gets a bit confused so needs to do more)
- worn all manner of tack incld bit, bridle, saddle, boots, bandages, rugs, dressing up gear, plastic sacks, a big green ball, and a bucket.
- has been walked out in-hand on the roads in traffic and is now perfect with all things you might find including sheep, plastic, skips, trucks, cars and buses.
- has been shown in hand successfully
- has done groundwork and understands body language to yield, back up etc with and without contact. Has also been desensitised to sticks, strings, ropes, things round her bum etc.
- Loads and travels well.
- can be lead by a child (7yrs up) at home

anyway we have been working on backing her, she has been leant on, scrambled on, layed on and bounced on for the last few weeks and is completely at home wearing tack as she has worn tack for a while now. A week or so ago we added a selection of 3 x tiny riders aged from 10yrs to 3yrs to get on and then to get off her x a few times each. So that's all good. Not mounting from stirrups yet though as kids are still small.

We then had a different child (4yrs, my sharers brother) get on and have her first walk about the field in walk, halt and walk again.

Then today my daughter (3yrs) had a ride. We didn't do much as building things up gradually so she got on and we walked a very short way and then back again and then got off and then got on again and got off again and untacked.

Piccolo has been unfazed by much to date....she does need to be a bit more forward as is quite hesitant under saddle but it's still early days yet.

oh and we went to a small in-hand show at the weekend and although she acted like a idiot as she had never been in a menage before (hadn't realised it would be on sand!) she did calm down by the end and we got a 1st in youngstock under 14.2hh, a 2nd in m&m small breeds and a 3rd in bays, browns and blacks.

Anyway the pics you've been waiting for -

026-7.jpg

027-8.jpg

028-7.jpg

029-6.jpg

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
laceyfreckle Piccolo Cafe 4
laceyfreckle Who remembers Piccolo? .........may have some news ;-) Cafe 19
laceyfreckle Piccolo is off to her new (loan) home. Cafe 7
laceyfreckle what do you think of piccolo's ad? Cafe 15
laceyfreckle What to do about Piccolo - Training help appreciated Training of the Horse and Rider 20
laceyfreckle Piccolo update - vid Cafe 7
laceyfreckle Saddle fitter out today and Piccolo gets her first 'big girl's' saddle PICS Tack & Saddlery 14
laceyfreckle Harvey & Piccolo PICS plus Harvey's new KV browband Cafe 12
laceyfreckle Piccolo's first day out hacking in hand this year Cafe 5
laceyfreckle Harvey and Piccolo's Update Cafe 2
laceyfreckle My ponies had a party......and Piccolo sliced her ear open Cafe 5
laceyfreckle Harvey and Piccolo's Blog Members Diaries 23
laceyfreckle Boo is back! and Piccolo starts 'work'! Cafe 9
laceyfreckle Piccolo's video - from here to now Cafe 4
laceyfreckle Piccolo's been clipped! Cafe 9
laceyfreckle Harvey AND Piccolo UPDATE! with pics Cafe 12
laceyfreckle Piccolo was Reserve Supreme Champion and I battled my nerves and did a ridden class! Cafe 43
eventerbabe Treeless for backing Tack & Saddlery 7
Claire81 Advice on backing a recently gelded stallion. Training of the Horse and Rider 14
CharliesAngel backing a shetland Training of the Horse and Rider 11
Dizzy Woo Backing Shetlands Training of the Horse and Rider 17
T Preparing For Backing Training of the Horse and Rider 35
Cochise 52 photos + vids of our weekend backing Jazz (worth a look!) Training of the Horse and Rider 16
notpoodle anyone else done/is currently backing without a school or mostly 'out and about'? Training of the Horse and Rider 20
R Dressage Girth shaped with felt backing Tack & Saddlery 0
M backing my 13h NF pony, im worried im going to squish her Adults who ride Ponies 22
No_Angel Weight for backing? Training of the Horse and Rider 5
Midnight_Ashes Breaking and backing.... Training of the Horse and Rider 4
vels mum Another session at RI's for Vels backing Cafe 3
fairlady Serious Discussion 2....Backing a Youngster Training of the Horse and Rider 9
Murphley Moo backing a 7 year old who hasn't been ridden for a year Training of the Horse and Rider 10
Toffee_Monster More and more early backing threads popping up - is it really ok to email sellers !?! Cafe 14
carn77 Training/backing/breaking plan?? Training of the Horse and Rider 7
punxmafia Backing youngsters, the problems we face: Q&A Training of the Horse and Rider 5
TiggerthePony Sending away for backing? Training of the Horse and Rider 17
Jessica23 The 'Una Backing' Thread Training of the Horse and Rider 50
*GroovyGallop* Backing up at cars, WHY? And HOW do i stop it? Training of the Horse and Rider 1
leno289 where to send my lad for backing Training of the Horse and Rider 2
M Opening gates without backing or rearing? Training of the Horse and Rider 8
C Backing Issues Training of the Horse and Rider 7
amandal Backing Pebbles Training of the Horse and Rider 7
FayeObs Head swinging/Feet Stomping/Backing up.... Horse Care 5
L Treats while backing ??????? Training of the Horse and Rider 5
Lot1983 Backing off before parallels Training of the Horse and Rider 14
sarahandbronson Backing a horse Training of the Horse and Rider 10
D Backing youngsters Training of the Horse and Rider 12
O Help With Pony Backing off- driving people especially please Training of the Horse and Rider 4
Sasca Prices/Quotes for schooling/backing services? Training of the Horse and Rider 2
sam_pring backing and breaking a youngster Training of the Horse and Rider 8
C Backing a young horse Training of the Horse and Rider 13