Pic of our dressage attempt

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I posted a couple of weeks ago about our first attempt at dressage - Intro A, at which we came not quite last!

Anyway, here is the pic I've bought from the professional photographer, I think Raf looks really pretty and I look like a:) - I was so nervous I didn't crack a smile until the test was over.

One of the comments is that 'When the horse starts to work through his back more and accept a more elastic contact ... etc'

I can see that he isn't working through his back obviously, but he isn't on the forehand either, so what is he doing?

RafiIntroA20May12.jpg

Now I feel all self conscious from the 'clicky thread' posting this but here it goes:
Your horse is absolutely gorgeous. Great job on the plait too. Really suits her!

Ooooo what a lovely photo :wub: Rafi is just beautiful!! :inlove:

Im afraid i have no advice because me & Finn came last at our first dressage test lol!! :tongue:

As you ask what your horse is doing in photo i can reply that to me they look a bit hollow and tense. Not quite reaching for the contact, neck is tense.
Lovely photo though and great for getting out there and having a go.
I need to learn how to do that plait, it is on my list.

you both look lovely, if a bit nervous. Love the plait, I have been trying to do that but theres SO much mane on mine it looks like a badly made rope.

No advice or anything useful to add, sorry. Well done for being brave though.

Agree you both look a bit tense, can been seen through the tension in Raf's neck. But I think the more dressage classes you do, the more relaxed you both will get and this will become a thing of the past... Have to say, you both look fab though, keep at it girl! :smile:

He needs to be working in a slightly less 'up' frame is what I would say was meant by the sheet. I'd suggest using a pessoa on the lowest setting to help build the muscles appropriately. He's a very smart little horse :)

Lovely pic, isn't he growing up fast! :)

I'd guess it was mostly tension too, it's only a moment in time of course but he does look a bit braced against the contact to me.

I don't know if you remember those rubber bowl shaped things - you used to turn them inside out and put them down, then would ping and fly up in the air? I would liken it to that - he is working in a \_/ shape - bum and head high, back low - which suggests he is hollowing, his head needs to go lower and longer, with his bcd coming up so he is /""\ shaped.... sorry if that makes no sense!

He looks very smart!

This is how Ziggy looks a lot of the time (except not as pretty, because I can't imagine how any horse could be prettier than Rafi).

You have contact, and his neck is arched, but his back is hollow. You are sitting "in a hole" as my RI said. He isn't working through from behind.

I expect it's because he is tense (picking up on your tension maybe?) but I'd suggest that you ask him to reach out more with his neck. This will mean that his back can come up, and then he can start stepping through and swinging from behind.

I hasten to add that I have NEVER succeeded in doing this yet, but I am sure that Rafi will before long.

Well done on your first test!! You have a lovely horse. They can be so nerve wrecking but with time and exposure will be less intense so dont worry :)

I actually breath now in tests ;) I literally used to forget and lock up through nerves doh!!

My only advice by all means could be completely wrong would be "release the handbrake" so to say, the engines running but the handbrakes on. You will find self carriage will then come

No further comments to add but agree with other.

But so nice to see the lovely Rafi one of my fav NR horses in all his glory. More pictures of his lovableness would not go a miss young lady.

I thought Arab's I thought were meant to have high head carriages?

And they are short backed. I think he looks lovely. He might not in the ideal outline, but I think he is really lovely, and looks both pretty and agile.

I guess he doesn't look relaxed is what the Judge was driving at.

Thanks folks for the lovely comments and the advice.

I can see what you mean about him being braced against the contact and being tense. He does tend to 'concertina' when he's stressed so maybe he was more tense than I thought and yes he may well have been picking up on my own tension - like you say Nookster, I think I did stop breathing! Releasing the handbrake is such an apt expression too - I will remember that!

PFB - I'm very impressed with your diagrams and do understand what you're saying. Yes, I can see he is hollow and I'm sitting in a hole but I kind of like that! Feels more secure! Raf's natural way of going is head up in the air, I quite often feel I'm coming close to having my eye blacked, but he's never hit me yet. And having his head and neck up comes in handy if he does a sudden stop!

Mmm, more work required I think. Yes we will be doing another and I'm hoping to be a lot more relaxed now I know what to expect.

BTW the plait is really easy on Raf, but he only has a fine mane. I can imagine it would be more difficult on a thick one, but I was taught how to do it by a friend with a hairy cob and she could do it really well.

Hi, i never tire of seeing pics of him, he`s maturing into a handsome young man !!

I don`t do dressage, but it was pointed out to me last year that Coby wasn`t using his behind fully. With the help of the Physio and a lot of pole exercises, it taught him to really bring his back legs under him which in turn helps him lift his back more ? (i hope i make sense, i actually had someone showing me how to do it). This made a huge difference and the Physio was back last week and said him bottom and tummy/back muscles were well definied and working well.

Lovely horse but needs to work longer and lower and forward to the bridle, the picure albeit a moment in time looks as if the front end is being held in.

I teach a lady who does a lot of dressage with her arab and for years she had similar comments. When she came to me we went right back to the drawing board and worked on flexing and transitions on a long rein and what I can only describe as 'pushing his ears away'. We also found that when we discovered his natural rhythm it was much slower then she was trying to ride at and correcting this lightened his withers and allowed him to lengthen his frame.

Hope some of that makes sense!!

newrider.com