Physio/dentist/farrier and riding

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
A quick question I never ride the same day after the boys have dentist, physio and farrier. I will ride before hand if I can but never after.

My reason being all of them can be invasive treatments and I would not like to have a bit in my mouth a saddle on etc after treatment and I never exercise myself at physio as the muscle can be quite sore.

Who does?

I don't. Ben had the dentist on Tuesday so I gave him the day off. He also had his jabs at the same time and I didn't want to take any risks in him not feeling 100%.

I wouldn't ride after the dentist or the physio but then my physio told me specifically not to ride after Rubic's physio. I rode before the dentist and would possibly consider riding bitless after the dentist if I felt I had to ride. Farrier - I tried to ride before he came but I don't see the issue in riding a horse that has no hoof issues after the farrier has been. The horse should not be sore after they've been shod so there shouldn't be a problem. At big competitions horses will lose a shoe, the farrier will put one back on and they will keep going!

ETA - I wouldn't ride after jags, my vet told me not to.

I wouldn't ride after teeth being done. I like to give her a day off, because she is sedated anyways, so even when she comes round from it, is still subdued. Plus I think she may be a bit tender after having them done.

Take advice from the farrier, dentist or physio based on the procedure they have just carried out.

I have had shoes put back on in the middle of a 100 mile endurance ride and carried on to the finish, however once the dentist came and had to do a bit more than expected and advised giving them 3 days off, Physio came and wanted the horse hacked out next day. Never pay a professional and then ignore their advice

So looks like you are all pretty much the same as me. I do ride after the farrier if I can't ride before but as Chanter is to stiff he finds being shod quite stressfull and painful so he always gets the day off.

As for the physio I listen to every word. She pretty much always states not to ride that day and a hack/stretch the day after.

I have no problem riding Scully after the dentist or the trimmer (she is barefoot) or after the physio when she gives Scully the all clear and no work is done on her - she only gets the day off if the physio finds any problems and sorts them out.

i ride straight after the trimmer fairly frequently. Mine have never been footy after a trim ever.

I don't ride after the dentist, i did once which resulted in Moet rearing (which she doesnt do) so i think she was telling me it was sore after the treatment.

I don't ride after the chiro/physio, they normally tell me not to so i listen to them. I tend to book these treatments for a monday so that they are ok to ride on my wed off!

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
Day off after Physio and dentist perhaps

Farrier - never occurred not to ?
Vets - never been told not before, so I have in the past.

My farrier asked me to ride straight after Roxy's last shoeing to check she wasn't footsore (as she is prone to it.) My dentist said it was fine to ride straight after her last checkup (I didn't though as no time) and the physio always says leave it 24 hours.

I didn't ride when Storm had her flu jab. (We don't have it nowadays). It made her very stiff and sore a couple of times, so I stopped riding after injections just in case she was sore. (That isn't the reason I don't have her vaccinated for flu - our vet said she was low risk as was Chloe and there are no other horses here).

I once couldn't ride her for a week after she had the strangles vaccine (waste of time and money!).

I never ride for a couple of days after her teeth are done but I have often ridden a couple of hours after the farrier has been. Physio? I am amazed how many of you seem to have a physio as a matter of course? I won't clog OBC's thread with my queries regarding that, I shall start a new thread, seems I have something new to learn and digest!o_O

Always after farrier - I feel it helps 'bang the shoes on'! I would be concerned if he was sore/lame after farrier/trimmer.

Not after teeth no, I wouldn't want some lump of metal in my mouth after having been to the dentist, and as most human back people will tell you to rest and not to do exercise after a treatment, I wouldn't even consider riding!

newrider.com