Photos of my boy driving - 24 weeks in harness

Toffee_Monster

Feb 13, 2008
Northamptonshire
www.flickr.com
So, i see a few of you want more driving piccies :) so i thought i would share some of my boy - 4yr old 12.2hh section c

Been driving for just 24 weeks now and doing well :)
Looking forward to some indoor trials this winter if i can

Here is harry after 11 weeks in harness
e2064bb6.jpg

Then 8 weeks later at our first show
c89ada2b.jpg

And just last week (24 weeks in harness and a new carriage)
74a27507.jpg

385aaaec.jpg

0eef2a51.jpg

And finally today in his new competition carriage

8b19c424.jpg

FAB! You look like you are having so much fun with him. How did you find the change from two wheels to four?

Lovely pictures ! Do you prefer the two wheel or the four wheel ? I found a real difference between the two and love driving a 4 wheel :wub:

Thanks guys, sorry about my silly face but we do have some great fun :) i do love driving, having ridden for 10 years but gave up when i was pregnant i decided to teach myself to drive and its been fantastic

I much prefer the 4 wheelers now and they are a lot smoother to drive, harry can turn a lot easier and tigher which is what i needed as our aim for this year is indoor trials :)

however Harry really struggles with the 4 wheelers in the school and up steep hills, he gets a bit collar lame if i do too much so i really need a field to school in. The new 3phase carriage is lighter for him and hopefully he will build those muscles up more, he is only just 4 so got a lot of filling out to do i think

Fantastic photos ! I do love a bit of driving – amazing how addictive it can be when you try it!

What super progress your boy has made – love the fifth picture where you are laughing/smiling!! :D

I never tried driving a 2 wheel but had the pleasure of driving a friends Section A pair in a 4 wheel and loved it. My wee sec a is broken to drive but shamefully something I have not continued / upkept. He’s away back for a 2 week boot camp later in the summer.

What are you future plans for Harry ?

I do have quite high hopes for him lol , we are entered for our 2nd show his weekend which is only a few miles away, i so hope it goes ahead :(

Then i really want to get doing some IHDT with him over winter and a few HDT next season if we do ok.

Aah Harry :inlove: What a gorgeous chap. I've followed him since you got him and he's one of my forum favourites! He seems to have taken to driving very quickly.

You've just made me cry. Fab photos.

I so want to break my boy to drive, I just keep putting it off. I need to buy the harness to get him going. I had a little go with the surcingle pulling a light tyre back in Feb and he took to it quickly. But its not the correct gear, which is why I really need the harness.
Not having driven before I'm not sure what to buy to get him going. i get mixed messages from people I've spoken to. Some say web harness, other synthetic and some say proper leather one.

I can afford to have lessons, so im a bit on my own. I should hassle people on here, after all thats what the forums for.

Aw thanks guys :) not sure ive made anyone cry before LOL :biggrin:

Chunky monkey, i suggest getting the best you can afford and i wouldnt get a leather one unless you want to show and can afford a decemt english leather one.

Lots of long reining to start with and buy a good book. There is a lot to learn and it can be done, i taught myself from scratch :)

Fantastic change you have worked hard. Well done. Just retired my driving pony he is 26 now! I am very sad and miss our drives together had him from 6 months old so we have done a lot together. Gor loads of big smiles just like you its brill. Well done!

Lovely pics and great inspiration! In september i'm hoping to start my 5yr old 12hh dartmoor driving, we will be learning from scratch (ish) together but as all my kids will then be at school i hope to put all the free time to some good use!

newrider.com