Photography (for xmas gifts)

Cremola Foam

Jan 11, 2005
Scotland
I haven't taken photos with my D70 in a loooong time but in the October holidays I dusted it off and went for a walk in the hills with my parents, snapping all the way.

I was quite happy with the results, some of the photos I like more than others, and decided to get prints to give as gifts to the adults in my family for Christmas. So mum and dad will get a photo, my bro and his wife will get one, my other bro and his wife, and my sister will get one.

I've not decided who is getting what yet though, and they will probably get more than one photo each. I have a potential set of three close ups, another two that could maybe go together and then several landscapes.

I'm not too sure which ones would go best together, and need some opinions. (Was also thinking of maybe giving some to Farmer J, my YO) Plus I thought you might all like to see them!

So here they are...

Set of three close ups...

2%20copy_zpstul1pawk.jpg

3%20copy_zpsrxzg6dwn.jpg

4%20copy_zpsjku6tfeq.jpg

Then no.2 (or maybe no.3 due to the berries link) plus these two could be other set...

9%20copy_zpscm46qfnj.jpg

5%20copy_zps2gkxtubv.jpg

And here are the landscapes...

6%20copy_zpsas8hizwk.jpg

10%20copy_zpskvjecu72.jpg

1%20copy_zpsdlfzbpiy.jpg

8%20copy_zpsp1f4ehih.jpg

I'm not sure why I think they need to get more than one each, but there you go! I might end up just giving them one each. We'll see!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Lovely pics. I think my favourite close-up is the bark with the barbed wire around it. Landscapes are trickier - especially as my laptop screen is rather small and I can't get a whole pic on the screen - but I think I like the path through the pine trees best, because there is an element of mystery about it and I feel the need to explore the path and find out where it goes. Although I do like the river with the moors in the background too ...

Those are all lovely pictures, well composed and pin sharp. Personally I like the lake seen through the pine trees and the leaves. But I am sure people would be pleased with one, never mind a set!

I love the bark and barbed wire picture, I love the contrast between the natural bark and the metal especially the rusty wire, really love the composition of the pine forest, really draws your eye off down the path, I also love the lake through the trees for the same reason, they are all lovely but those three are my favorites.
Nice camera too by the way, we have a D750 which I love, what lens were you using @Cremola Foam ?

Just the kit lens. 18 - 70mm.

Thankyou for everyone's lovely comments. I need to get some frames before I order up prints so I know what size to get but I'm thinking 10x12"

(The pine forest path is probably my favourite too!)

The landscape ones are all really great! My brother who is into photography suggested maybe putting a landscape scene in the middle with a close up shot either side, because they are all forest themed and link really well together :)

I love the picture with the pine trees ( I think they are!) almost solider like on either side of the path covered dead shrubbery ( pine needles??). You have a lovely talent :)

If you sent the old fence pic to your YO he/she might think you are griping about the fencing haha!!! :D ( however good it is!)

I think it depends also what they might want to do with them? For example I line the wire one because I think it is a 'discussion image' - it highlights many things such as how we try to harness nature, but nature won't be harnessed ... Or the starkness of our impact on nature... Very impactful but it's not something I would put on my wall (mainly because I'm a softy and won't even kill bugs knowingly and it would remind me and make me feel guilt about the world if I looked at it regularly!!)... So it depends on the perso. I guess and what they would do with it :)

Thank you all for your lovely comments and suggestions.

Popularfurball, I love that about photography, a photo can mean so many different things to different people. For me I just like the contrast of man made metal against natural wood. If I see barb wire and old fence posts i always take a picture! Lol! In fact, anything old and rusty and broken I quite like to photograph! Lol!

Ale, thank your bro for his suggestion. Good idea. :)

I think it depends also what they might want to do with them? For example I line the wire one because I think it is a 'discussion image' - it highlights many things such as how we try to harness nature, but nature won't be harnessed ... Or the starkness of our impact on nature... Very impactful but it's not something I would put on my wall (mainly because I'm a softy and won't even kill bugs knowingly and it would remind me and make me feel guilt about the world if I looked at it regularly!!)... So it depends on the perso. I guess and what they would do with it :)

You'd be surprised what sells. My work is not commercial at all and I still sold three at the opening of my exhibition. This îs one of them. Not an image I'd hang on my wall! But somebody wanted it!

http://toastyfrog.deviantart.com/art/firevoices-52211002

newrider.com