Petri *UPDATE* & bonding time *PHOTOS*

WeeBarraxO

May 20, 2008
Glasgow
Well Petri has been a little under the weather .. we noticed her breathing being a little .. odd .. she was getting out of breath really easy, first it was only after a blast .. then just a canter .. then even just a long trot .. or uphill she was getting all huffy puffy snorty :( .. so I got the vet out .. he had a all over check of her .. listened to her lungs, throat etc .. then he got me to quickly lunge her .. so he could see how quickly she starts puffing .. and he said its deffo not right .. BUT .. he did say her breathing isn't horrendous, she doesn't seem to have any infection, blockages etc .. but something just isn't right .. ok ..

but he kept coming back to .. her weight :( .. his words were .. "there is definitely MORE of her than the last time I saw her" :help:, so I have been given strict instructions to get her weight down, as this may be why she is getting breathless, but she also gets little runny eyes and they were a little sticky when he was there, so it could be slight allergies too, another thing that was mentioned was copd :( .. but he said that is unlikely, but not to dismiss it .. so she has been put on ventipulmin for a week, to help open up her airways and maybe clear up anything that could be causing it, and I've to phone back with how she is getting on after that, so not been riding her, just light lunging, long reining, free schooling, and walks, keeping an eye on her breathing ..

I was also feeling I was loosing the bond a bit again as things have been so hectic I haven't had much time to just BE with her ? you know .. everytime I was up it was a case of .. right .. in groom .. tack up .. sort out .. back out .. leave ..

so I've been spending all day up there all this week just BEING with her again :cloud9:

and here are some of the photos

(in next post)

ears
_MG_3852.jpg

cuddles
_MG_4080.jpg

she so pretty
_MG_4035.jpg

she does have a bit of a gut eh ..
_MG_3962.jpg

Today
_MG_4178.jpg

_MG_4212.jpg

_MG_4224.jpg

_MG_4301.jpg

_MG_4341.jpg

I love her a fair bit ..
_MG_4367.jpg

_MG_4387.jpg

I missed this
_MG_4382.jpg

_MG_4394.jpg

funny ones ?
_MG_4113.jpg

_MG_4115.jpg

_MG_4122.jpg

_MG_4123.jpg

_MG_4124.jpg

Love her funky mane!!

I have to be honest she does look to be carrying quite a bit of excess weight in some of those pics.

She's an older pony carrying an adult rider,add to that possibly 30-50kg excess body weight of her own and I think you may have at least part of your answer.
I notice similar with my middle aged cob when he's fat and unfit.

I think you're right to be thinking of allergies as well though,air quality this time of year certainly doesn't help.
I use nose nets on both of mine as we do a lot of riding in country lanes and they do get irritated by flies and pollen from the high hedges etc,not sure if something like that would help your girl??

Hope she's feeling better soon:smile:

Interesting, did the vet advise only light exercise? Henry had COPD and we were never advised to keep exercise light when on ventipulmin, quite the opposite as the harder exercise would help bring up the gunk.

Have you scoped and trach washed?

Petri is babe! and a real credit to you.
yes she is a bit on the heavier side but we're coming into winter soon and im sure you will manage to help her lose the excess soon enough. fingers crossed its just been extra weight/pollen
x

Beautiful photos, I love her mane.

The last photo looks like she's belting out a song "I'm simply the best, do do do, better than all the rest" :giggle:

thank you ;D, ohh it wouldn't surprise me haha :p

Love her funky mane!!

I have to be honest she does look to be carrying quite a bit of excess weight in some of those pics.

She's an older pony carrying an adult rider,add to that possibly 30-50kg excess body weight of her own and I think you may have at least part of your answer.
I notice similar with my middle aged cob when he's fat and unfit.

I think you're right to be thinking of allergies as well though,air quality this time of year certainly doesn't help.
I use nose nets on both of mine as we do a lot of riding in country lanes and they do get irritated by flies and pollen from the high hedges etc,not sure if something like that would help your girl??

Hope she's feeling better soon:smile:

thank you :), yeah vet deffo wants her to loose a bit, though we do think it may partyly be allergies too, as she gets runny eyes, she has been on the ventipulmin for a few days now and she isn't quite as huffy puffy while lunging, though had quite a bit of snot coming up, so maybe what every it is is breaking up ? I hope anyway

I think I may well look into nose nets as a few people have mentioned that to me too

Lovely pictures as always. So to hear she has not been herself and I hope you find the answer soon enough

thank you ;D, I am hoping after the week on this she will be feeling at least a bit better, but shall be continuing with her fat camp regime

Interesting, did the vet advise only light exercise? Henry had COPD and we were never advised to keep exercise light when on ventipulmin, quite the opposite as the harder exercise would help bring up the gunk.

Have you scoped and trach washed?

well when he was there, I had said will I still ride her or has she to have time off .. and he said to keep exercise, mostly lunging keeping check on if her breathing is improving or not, will be taking her a light ride tomorrow to see if there is any improve, as she hasn't been so huffy puffy lunging now, though quite a bit of snot :help:

no she hasn't had that done, will that may be next step if no improvement ?

Petri is babe! and a real credit to you.
yes she is a bit on the heavier side but we're coming into winter soon and im sure you will manage to help her lose the excess soon enough. fingers crossed its just been extra weight/pollen
x

hehe thank you ;D, yeah I shall be welcoming winter with open arms haha :p

Luverly Petri pics as always! Hope she is back to normal soon! Loooove her mane (I think I've said that before!!)

thank you ;D, I am hoping so too, she is full of beans haha .. going to take her a light hack tomorrow .. well I hope a light hack .. she may have other ideas .. will maybe have to stick her bit bridle back on (we had started bitless)

hehe thank you :p, I will be trying a new pattern again next time :biggrin:

She's gorgeous! and I think I must like the look of fat horsies cause she looks perfect to me which means my pony is chubby too because he's got the same shape. =)

newrider.com