Pete conquers railways today (sort of)

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
Just a few quick snaps, as today Pete and I toddled off to try some brand new riding. It's mainly all off road but new to us as it goes over a railway bridge (just the main line to London and all ... :D ) and I've always been to chicken to cross it. Motorway bridges, no problem - we can cross motorways all day long, but this bridge is I'm sure much closer to the track! Pete's beginning to feel a reliable enough happy hacker to try and other than a few sharp, reactive moments (not at the railway bridge, hilariously when two London bound trains came whistling past but at silly 'Pete' things :D) he was a star. We rode up to a neighbouring country house/estate, round a farm and back down a bridlepath through the forest.

We can go much, much further on this route but just wanted to keep it to a few miles at first, just to build his confidence. As you can see, he didn't look remotely stressed by it which is *huge* for him :)

0aV1xT1.jpg

xzEeRsX.jpg

kMt1WxU.jpg

Mum came on foot to chaperone just in case, but considering a few years ago he would barely leave the yard, we are chuffed to pieces with him tonight :)

Last edited:
Sounds like a great ride!

We have to hack under a railway bridge to go on long hacks and my share is absolutely brilliant even when a train goes over and we are right below (so noisy!) Last time he did spook there at a lady jogging who slipped a bit and had to stop to do a stretch. Which made me laugh as we went past her snorting but the trains are no problem!

Well done Pete! Sounds like you'll be able to go out on much longer rides now.

newrider.com