Pessoa Training Aid???

Stella2

Aug 5, 2001
North East England
Visit site
Following on from my thread Worried about Flora and its making me miserable , I need to learn a bit about the Pessoa training system. Due to a couple of physical problems, Flora hasn't been moving properly in the last few months and consequently she has lost a lot of topline and developed muscle under her neck. I've been advised by the Vet to try the Pessoa system in teaching her to work properly again.

I'd find it really helpful if anyone with information on this could share. It looks pretty complicated to put together!!

Never used one and have heard of one or two not so nice reactions to them.

The only lungeing 'gadget' I ever use, apart from side reins, is a chambon which encourages the horse to work in a correct outline without force. I do have a chambon (somewhere!) it is Peri sized but I think it will let out to Flora size - if you want I will try and find it and if it is the right size you can borrow it.

cheers (again), DP did saya passoa or a chambon. Whilst I have some idea of what a Passoa is, I have no clue about a Chambon. I would like to borrow it (if you could give me some idea of how to use it!!). Do you really think it would let out to Flora size? She is 16.3hh heavy hunter!

It should do - I'm sure I had it almost as small as it would go to fit Peri and I think Sarah may have used it on Rolo last year (he is almost 16.3hh and rather chunky)

Stella - if you decide you want to have your own chambon, I'm thinking of selling mine (leather+rope) so could be open to a sensible offer ;) Its horse sized...

I've gone over to using a bungee rein if and when I need to.

cvb said:
Stella - if you decide you want to have your own chambon, I'm thinking of selling mine (leather+rope) so could be open to a sensible offer ;) Its horse sized....

cvb: if Stella doesn't want it I would be interested :D I've been meaning to get one for a while.

Lgd; just wondering what unfavourable things you have heard about the Pessoa - I'm not keen on them but everyone at the yard seems to be using them at the moment, in fact they seem to spend more time lungeing now than riding :(

Last edited:
I've heard some negative things about the Pessoa, too...but it usually turns out that they tightened the adjustments to "make it work" and lunged for 30 minutes or more the very first time...and complain that the horse is stiff as a board the next day, especially the hind legs :rolleyes:

If anyone could give me the basics on how to use one as I've just found a knock-off (half the price, but it all looks the same to me), and am interested in getting it for my boy - he has very little top line, mostly due to no work, but I can't bring him back into work without a few lunging sessions anyway (too full of beans), and thought I could do get his outline happening again at the same time.

I love my pessoa, it does take some sorting to get it fitted correctly, but when used correctly, on the right setting and for the right amount of time it is fabulous. I have only used mine on youngsters, so have always only used the bottom (between the front legs) and middle setting. I find it easiest to put on if you put it on round yourself first!lol. I currently only have my old mare and she doesn't need it so I have my dear unused pessoa sat festering in the tack room, so if you want to borrow one your welcome to. :)

good for topline

i have used the pessoa when helping exercise a friends horse and my boss at work who events is a fan of them also. I did use a de gogue when lunging my own horse which helps with muscles along the top of the neck but have found that this did not encourage him to engage behind very much, as he is a very long horse the pessoa does encourage much more hindquarter activity and really works the topline.it seems to work best in the low position when starting out and isn't too difficult to put on, just follow the diagrams and you shouldn't have too many problems, basically give it a try, it gets my vote, your horse will soon tell you if they are comfortable or not. :)

Thanks everyone, Flora is going well under saddle now, working through and not leaning, so I might not go down this route. Based on her development in the first few months after I got her, she seems to be one of those horses who builds topline pretty easily when she is working well. I see how it goes for a while.

But don't stop the discussion though, its interesting to understand more about these things :)

racipaci said:
Lgd; just wondering what unfavourable things you have heard about the Pessoa - I'm not keen on them but everyone at the yard seems to be using them at the moment, in fact they seem to spend more time lungeing now than riding :(

I know of at least three serious injuries (one fatal) due to the horse reacting badly to the system and this was when being used by people who knew the system and how to use it appropriately - needless to say none of them have used it again. OTOH I do know of people who have used them and had no problems, just not a risk I would wish to take with my own animals.

Stella/RaciPaci

Do let me know if you decide you want the chambon - its in my riding club newsletter this time around but no one's nabbed it yet. I'm just trying to be good and not a hoarder. :D

Would have to check out postage. And let me know if you need any sizing info.

One of these days I may get around to eBaying it. That and the extra copy of Centered Riding 2 I have !

Thanks cvb, I'll leave it for now as she is going well again (phew!) so should build the topline up nicely anyway (and I don't know how to use it, and no-one likes change!!).

You really should do the ebay thing. Its really very easy. I have pretty much sold everything I don't use and I now find myself eyeing up other stuff :eek: Its amazing the prices you can get and Sally Swift stuff goes like hot cakes!

The Pessoa is a very useful addition touse when schooling a horse as it helpsa horse to go forwards from the quarters using its whole frame and developing a lovely top line.

However if not used correctly they can and will cause a lot of damage. Some people seem to think you can just slap them on tighten them up to force the horse to arch its neck and then trot on a circle. A disaster waiting to happen. It takes time for thehorse to develop the right muscles and and tone up and it is a gradual learning process, however done correctly it has amazing results.

I use mine occasionally when I am unable to ride or drive and it is something I will never part with.

newrider.com