Peronious tertius tear and cushings

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
It never rains but it pours :( Toby fell in the snow at the start of january and has been diagnosed with a Peronious tertius tear. Vet had only seen one in the last 10 years. Now he's had 2 in 2 weeks including Toby. Traumatic doesn't even cover it, he honestly looked like he'd broken his hind leg. So, he's on 3 MONTHS box rest. Can't have any more danilon as it was affecting him (vet drew bloods to check plasma which was borderline low so he had to come off it). At the same time, they did a geriatric panel given toby is now 28. And he came back positive for cushings. Levels at 198 when it should be 20 or less. So we started prascend at 1 tablet a day (1mg I think?) which threw him into the "prascend/pergolide veil" where he wouldn't eat and was very depressed. We let it work through his system with no more doses and he's now on 1/4 tablet building up to 1 over the next month or so.

So, my questions are; has anyone experienced a Peronious tertius tear? And those with cushings horses did you have any issues with prascend? Any advice on feeding/did you change your horses diet at all?

Sorry to hear about Toby.

Are you on FB? There are a number of knowledgeable groups on managing the cushings/PPID horse which I've found helpful.

Pete's had EMS so similiar ish diet of low sugar/starch content but no actual experience of PPID.

A friend of mine has a PPID and I know was able to come off Prascend and I think she used a herbal treatment instead. I can ask her details of what she used if you would like?

Oh poor old Tobes ((((vibes)))) coming his way.

I’ve never seen that injury, it sounds awful! Not sure if you can but I’m a bit of a convert on using kinesiology tape to help soft tissue injuries, it’s helped me several times and I’ve used it on Jess too, a physio friend talked me through applying it myself and it’s pretty easy.

A lot of horses suffer with the veil, titration of the dose definitely helps, I found splitting it between 2 feeds helped too, you could also look into APF. Dr Ellenor Kellon (founder of ECIR) says it’s 100% effective at getting rid of the veil https://forageplus.co.uk/product/apf-phytonutrient-support-for-horses/
Most don’t need their diet adjusting if their acth is controlled but some do in which case it’s low starch and sugar, under 10% combined. ECIR is a fantastic resource.

ETA The normal herbal alternative for crushing a is Chaste Berry, there has been studies on it and the most recent I remember said it effectively controlled ACTH levels in 33% of horses.

Last edited:
For pain relief, try TurmerAid - https://goldenpastecompany.co.uk/products/turmeric-pellets?variant=35211889409 - use the code LAMBI10 for 10% discount.

I use this as an alternative daily painkiller that has many uses - anti-inflammatory, digestive aid, anti-bacterial, anti-stress, analgesia (like being washed in paracetamol) - and is my go-to in my first-aid box for everyone four legged. I have the two-legged version and can vouch for it too.

I cannot rate this product highly enough. I gave it to my mares after giving birth and retaining their placentas, after Iacs' colic, Haakon lives on it..... a good painkiller alternative that works almost immediately.

That looks interesting Frances. I know it's advised to avoid feeding turmeric if they've had or are prone to stomach ulcers. Do you know if it still applies with that product?

It never rains but it pours :( Toby fell in the snow at the start of january and has been diagnosed with a Peronious tertius tear. Vet had only seen one in the last 10 years. Now he's had 2 in 2 weeks including Toby. Traumatic doesn't even cover it, he honestly looked like he'd broken his hind leg. So, he's on 3 MONTHS box rest. Can't have any more danilon as it was affecting him (vet drew bloods to check plasma which was borderline low so he had to come off it). At the same time, they did a geriatric panel given toby is now 28. And he came back positive for cushings. Levels at 198 when it should be 20 or less. So we started prascend at 1 tablet a day (1mg I think?) which threw him into the "prascend/pergolide veil" where he wouldn't eat and was very depressed. We let it work through his system with no more doses and he's now on 1/4 tablet building up to 1 over the next month or so.

So, my questions are; has anyone experienced a Peronious tertius tear? And those with cushings horses did you have any issues with prascend? Any advice on feeding/did you change your horses diet at all?
I didn't find prascend made much difference to Ramsey, so didn't bother. He managed another 10 years, I just gave him supplements (cushex or somesuch) but I know the prascend seems to help others. Sorry you've had such a rotten time - gets you down, doesn't it? :(

Thanks for all your replies. I can't seem to see the reply from @Trewsers but i remember reading it the other day! Toby is back on prascend at 1/4 tablet and no ill effects. He's another 5 days at this dose then up to 1/2 and see how we go. @Jessey interesting about chaste berry. My vet did mention it but didn't think it effective so good to know some have positive experiences with it!

We are lucky he doesn't specifically need pain relief now. We are over the initial trauma and swelling. The lameness is more mechanical. He's basically snapped/torn the tendon and muscle that allow the top and bottom of his hind leg to move independently :( hence when he was lifting his leg from the hip, below the hock his leg looked like it was dangling :( It was horrific to see but the vet has reassured me that with extended rest either the tears will heal or other muscles will compensate. My first thought was I'm going to lose him. We had 14 days of 4x arc sessions on the pain setting and icing his injured leg alternating with support bandaging. Now he's more settled he has 3x arc sessions on the tissue repair program and wears stable bandages/wraps for support but mainly warmth (we've had snow since christmas day - its very cold!).

@Frances144 i'll have a look at that. He's no doubt going to be stiff and a bit sore from both the injury and the box rest. Although in his head he is still a 3 year old fit to gallop about a field! 6 days post injury he barged past me and escaped from the stable, cantering off around our barns to get to the fields to see his friends. Terrifying to watch given the state his leg was in!

Thanks for all your replies. I can't seem to see the reply from @Trewsers but i remember reading it the other day! Toby is back on prascend at 1/4 tablet and no ill effects. He's another 5 days at this dose then up to 1/2 and see how we go. @Jessey interesting about chaste berry. My vet did mention it but didn't think it effective so good to know some have positive experiences with it!

We are lucky he doesn't specifically need pain relief now. We are over the initial trauma and swelling. The lameness is more mechanical. He's basically snapped/torn the tendon and muscle that allow the top and bottom of his hind leg to move independently :( hence when he was lifting his leg from the hip, below the hock his leg looked like it was dangling :( It was horrific to see but the vet has reassured me that with extended rest either the tears will heal or other muscles will compensate. My first thought was I'm going to lose him. We had 14 days of 4x arc sessions on the pain setting and icing his injured leg alternating with support bandaging. Now he's more settled he has 3x arc sessions on the tissue repair program and wears stable bandages/wraps for support but mainly warmth (we've had snow since christmas day - its very cold!).

@Frances144 i'll have a look at that. He's no doubt going to be stiff and a bit sore from both the injury and the box rest. Although in his head he is still a 3 year old fit to gallop about a field! 6 days post injury he barged past me and escaped from the stable, cantering off around our barns to get to the fields to see his friends. Terrifying to watch given the state his leg was in!
they do the daftest things, terrifying!

newrider.com