Perfect seat

Niki_

May 19, 2020
Europe, Hungary
So I've been struggling to keep my heels down, shoulders back, reins not slipping out of my hands etc.
And also I'm really insecure about clicking on the horse (yknow with tongue) because I have never ever done it
Any ideas? <3

Hi @Niki_ :) As Mike says the horse and the saddle can make quite a difference, also dare I say it but the perfect text book position is achieved by very few and for most of us is probably less important than effectiveness. Sometimes if you try too hard to have everything just right you can end up forgetting to ride the horse, and/or being so stiff you're a nuisance to the horse. I'm not saying it isn't worth aiming for because it is, but it isn't the only thing. As for clicking, well it's unlikely to make a horse go much more forward than your riding is so i wouldn't worry about doing it but do be aware some people frown on it.

Relax and enjoy your riding. Yes try to get it right, but don't get so hung up on it that you're stiff and tense and blocking the horse from moving. Maybe practice it when you aren't riding too so it starts to feel normal and relaxed - when you're sitting and walking keep your shoulders down and over your hips with your head up enough that your chin is parallel to the ground. Stand at the bottom of the stairs on the balls of your feet, bend your knees and let your heels drop - it will stretch the muscles in your legs and you can see how balanced you feel.

@Niki_ mare or gelding makes no difference to the problems you're having, but conformation and schooling can have an effect as can badly fitting tack or a saddle that is wrong for you. However I suspect it's most likely that it's quite early in in your riding and if so the problems you're having are very common and will improve with experience.

Reactions: Niki_
newrider.com