Percheron's as riding horses

cassy

Jul 19, 2006
Hi
Is there anyone out there who rides a percheron. My daughter and I are thinking of buying one, she wants to eventually breed (crossed with something lighter) , I want something sensible to enjoy riding in the twilight of my riding career.

As a side-step to your post, I know that the cross Percheron-arab was "popular" a few years back. I knew someone who had one and show jumped with her.

I wouldn't know about riding one but I guess finding tack and a farrier might be a little more tricky ?

Actually, I got one in July. She's 3 1/2, and a VERY good girl, 95% or so of the time. She's 17hh, but throws spooks less violently than other, smaller breeds (like Quarter Horses, Appaloosas, Paints, etc) at our barn. I was worried about tack and farrier, too, but since she's barefoot, there's this nice younger farrier that comes out to trim her up. Her saddle is a standard size (western saddle, full QH bars), and she takes a 36" girth (western). The only tack she needs of draft size is halter/bridle.
Our "little girl" does NOT have a nice little trot that you can balance a cup of tea during. Hers is BIG. I had to learn to do a rising trot to compensate. BUT, she's absolutely willing to do what I ask (or at least TRY), hasn't a mean bone in her body, is curious and is "the rock" that everyone depends on to calm their horses on the trails. She's also an "easy keeper", and doesn't eat TOO much more hay than the smaller breeds.
I would DEFINITELY get another, if we were in the position to do so, and if I could find another as sweet as her.

I have a four year old Percheron. Actually, he's only 7/8ths Percheron, but what's the difference :p He's 16 hands, and does have big movement. I can sit his trot, but then again I'm used to big Dressage trots :) However, I think with most drafts you will get very big movement/trots that are hard to sit to. The canters are amazing though :D
As far as tack, he takes a small draft size, and can fit into some Oversize/Warmblood bridles, depending on the make. I have a Heather Moffett Phoenix saddle(treeless).

DSC_6170.jpg

A close friend of mine has a percheron as a riding horse. She's lovely. Fab temperament. Not the smartest cookie in the barrel, but a complete love.

Your horse is gorgeous cmr.

They are lovely horses to ride! I rode two Percheron crosses. Lucy was 17hh(still growing)and was VERY quite on her feet. She could turn on a dime and loved hunting. When I started riding her she was 4 years old and still green. And she wasn't a slow horse at all.
riding2.jpg

And then there was Penelope. She didn't have as much Percheron in her. She is 16.2hh. And she was the plod out of the two:rolleyes: But I loved riding her!
howtall.jpg

And then the both of them
hiding.jpg

Thanks for your responses. I think a percheron may be just what I am looking for. Are there many people in the UK who ride percherons and if so I would love to hear from them.

I have a Percheron, she is huge but a real gentle lady! She's great to ride, calm and relaxed but not a plod. I only use her for hacking, she isn't really up to anything much else.

She does have problems holding one leg for a long length of time (with the farrier), but she is getting better with pratice.

I would definitely recommend a Percheron, they are a great breed!

I think Percherons are the nicest looking of the heavy horse breeds. I've only ever seen one ridden and he looked stunning.;)

newrider.com