People You Just Don't Get On With That Everyone Else Does!!

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
I started a new job six months ago and as part of the contract, I go for 'block release' teaching in Edinburgh for 2-3 weeks at a time, maybe three months inbetween. There are three of us from my firm that go and on the first block, one of the other girls befriended a girl sitting alone behind us who had come from her firm alone. She got talking with us and has ended up tagging along with our group ever since.
I am 34, the majority of the rest of them are just out of uni, early 20s, one guy is 30. I don't make good first impressions so am conscious at the moment that these new people aren't very sure about me and I'm on my best behaviour (most of the time) so no fm grumpiness (which is never aimed at anyone - and generally my mates know just to make fun of me and I will snap out of it). I like to think I can get along with everyone but this one new girl we have adopted, for want of a better way of putting it, does my nut in.
My perception of her is that she is shallow, self centred, not at all invested in what we are all trying to achieve, thinks it's funny to sit during an exam and just do nothing, focuses solely on partying and getting drunk and doesn't give a damn if she fails because her father runs the firm who are funding her to come on this course.
She has openly made silly comments about other lesser attractive folk in the class, that they will not be 'getting any', can't complete a sentence without using the word 'like' fifty million times, and tends to drop us all like hot potatoes if she finds someone more interesting to talk to. E.g. A boy.
BUT. The other girls in our group hang off her every word, copy her so think it's cool to say they haven't done any work (and then text me in a panic the night before, but then appear p!ssed off with me when they see how much studying notes I've taken). This girl makes me feel old and fat and I don't like her for it.
Sadly she gets the same train as me part way home and I have tried to chat, to get on with her, and all I tend to walk away with, is a sack load of information about her - but no return of the favour. I got to the point in the last few days where I had just had enough and decided to opt out, go quiet and just let the two in particular, get on with it.
I know I'm probably being unfair on this girl, I was her age before and I partied a lot, had fun, made some mistakes, but I feel like she thinks she's the only one who's cool because she's doing it and she's pretty unfair with her comments and opinions and just downright immature saying 'these mock exams don't matter' all the time, that doing no work is cool and giggling. I tried to point out that since our work is sponsoring us through all of this, we really need to put the effort in so that if we do fail the real thing, they don't actually fire us on the spot as they can see we've really tried but she doesn't seem to understand.

I guess she just shines a mirror up to me being an old fat grumpy goodie two shoes that has spent the last twelve years in a dead end job and doesn't want to go back there.
Even when I worked in my old job with lots of younger folk though, I didn't feel this old and 'uncool'. I hate that one person makes me feel this way and hate that I hate her - I haven't felt this way since my early 20s, generally I feel that there is always some common ground or side to folk that you can get on with, but ugh I can't find it with this one and I don't think I want to!
So anyone else got one person in their group that they just don't gel with? How do you cope without getting left out? Sorry for the whinge, I'm just low after exam yesterday - 3 weeks of travel, study, teaching, and no sleep has taken it out of me and I can't moan to anyone cause I chose this career change and knew it would be tough going!

I am working with someone who is my exact opposite. She is younger, blond, drives an Audi with a personal plate. Has had a boob job, and the lips etc.:giggle:

For the first week we clashed rather a lot but I think we are starting to find some common ground:smile:

Yes I do know what you mean. I generally get on well with most people, although there are some certain people that just annoy me. One person in particular just grates on me and I dread having to make some false conversation with her.

All you can do is be true to yourself, get your head stuck into your studying and look to the bigger picture where you will have passed your exams and will be earning lots of cash.

These days I really don't care of what people think of me. I would much rather sit on the train with a good book rather than make polite conversation with someone who annoys me. You can't be friends with everyone, just be you and if this girl doesn't like you for some reason don't think too deeply about it.

All you can do is be true to yourself, get your head stuck into your studying and look to the bigger picture where you will have passed your exams and will be earning lots of cash.

These days I really don't care of what people think of me. I would much rather sit on the train with a good book rather than make polite conversation with someone who annoys me. You can't be friends with everyone, just be you and if this girl doesn't like you for some reason don't think too deeply about it.

This ^^^

I had a girl I worked with several years ago like this one, we used to call her Me me, all her conversations were about her and anytime someone tried to change the subject it would always end up being about her. I think sometimes you don't give yourself the credit you deserve FM, you always come across to me a lovely girl with loads of patience, loads of common sense (not that common believe me) and a very mature head on your shoulders and you have the prettiest smile too, just go look at your photo's with Flipo.
I was always the boring old fart at horticultural college and used to get teased for getting 100% scores on my ident tests and even got accused of having a fling with one of the lectures because I always was in the top of the class, the only reason I got there was with hard work and dedication, much like you.
Don't let her get you down, you will be the one comes out smiling in the long run and don't forget she's young and silly and she won't always have her looks or daddy to prop her up. Don't be jealous of her as you really have no need to be and she isn't worth upsetting yourself for. :hug

Totally know where you are coming from flipo!!!! Had the misfortune to work with similar for 6 years - ugh! This particular person was soooo popular, attractive, you name it, but really enjoyed taking the pee out of "square" folk like myself (I can't help it if I seem boring and don't spend all my time gossiping / bitching). Anyways, I just used to try putting my head down and getting on with my job. Was hard tho as this person didn't take me seriously even when I got promoted (they weren't on my team as such so could have been worse).
I feel your pain truly - only advice I can offer is don't feel uncool and boring etc, because you aren't. It's them that is ott and lets face it: not very bright for acting this way. Chin up! Sending you my best square pants, uncool people rule vibes!!!!!!

This is the philosophy I am currently using to live my life by:
1513675_10152218297964095_1307220129_n.jpg

I went to school/college/uni and worked with people like that for years. In fact I think there are a few people like that in my current work but luckily I don't speak to them. I've never fitted in with the popular crowd and, to be honest, now I wouldn't want to but at the time I was very good at letting them make me feel ugly etc. These kinds of people are very good at bringing out the insecure side of us, possibly because they are so judgemental. Now I feel sorry for them that they cannot understand or embrace that fact that life is not just about how you look and how popular you are. There are much more important things that matter and the people who judge another's worth on looks and popularity are just going to lead a very shallow existence.

Personally I would just ignore this girl, it doesn't sound like she is worth your time or patience. It shouldn't matter what she thinks of you or what she makes others think of you. It is what you think about yourself that matters (don't let her get to you and make you think less of yourself). You are doing this course for you, not anyone else, and so you are totally right to be putting your head down and getting on with it.

What notpoodle said!! Though I do admit to it taking a few years longer to get to not worrying what others thought.
You are going for a challenging qualification. You will not pass without putting the work in and you will not get the star jobs without first time passes. She may have the support of her father so that not working is an option, but that is not the case for most people. It sounds to me as if she has not chosen this route, she has taken the easy way into the family firm so to speak. It is immature and inconsiderate behaviour and you are so much better than that, you know you are. You thought this move through so carefully; you know your goals... It is not worth being distracted!
There is a lady I know who I can only describe as "competitive" in friendship. We have a mutual friend, and this lady is forever talking to me in a manner that insinuates see how much better She gets on with X than I do... See how much closer we are... Etc etc. It used to get me down and it has taken some time to train myself to ignore it and not get wound up. It is a failing in her, not in me and I think that this is the attitude you need to have to this girl.... The problems are her shortcomings not yours and you are the stronger for not being taken in.
Chin up!

Two things you can't and won't change other peoples behaviours, you may influence them, throughout my working life I have found no amount of eduction can make up for age and experience. Sometimes you just have to go with the horse and not get too tensed about behaviour you find immature because it sounds like complete immaturity. My second point if what you say is a correct assessment of behaviours is her whole university education has been a waste of time as she hasn't learned when to work and when to play, all my working life which is over now has been a real pleasure I have enjoyed every minute and would do it all again the same way. I enjoyed the company of those I like and left the bams to get on with being a bam. Mg advice be polite and just leave it at that. I understand that woman can be real bitchy at times where as us men usually blow up quick but can't keep the psychology bit for any more than a few hours due to our small brains.

Girls in their late teens/early 20s are often pretty annoying (no offence to anyone on here! Horse people, not the daddy-i-want-a-pony type but the ones who work damn hard to fund their hobby, are a bit different). I bet I was AWFUL at that age. I remember my ex-boss used to say I looked sulky all the time, which surprised me, as I wasn't sulking at all!

I had to fake smile at my ex YO and she did the same while sending me hate vibes from her eyes. Ah well, you can't get on with everyone, nobody can!

I had to fake smile at my ex YO and she did the same while sending me hate vibes from her eyes. Ah well, you can't get on with everyone, nobody can!

Tis true - you can't get along with everyone. My tactic is to just avoid:redface: anybody who I just don't gel with. Trouble is sometimes you can't!

I think there are two things going on there: first of all, this girl does seem to be a genuine PITA, but that in itself isn't necessarily a reason for disliking her (although it could be a reason for spending as little time as possible with her).

The second is more complicated - she obviously triggers off some bad feelings in you, and that's not her fault - she seems to remind you of things about yourself or your life that you don't like. I know a couple of people like that, generally it's because they remind me of my mother!

But really you're much stronger than she is, Flipo's Mum; you're older than her, you've made a decision to embark on this career change and you're doing it, and (best of all), you have a horse and you're doing so well on your journey with him.

I think your best tactic is just to be as pleasant to them all as you can, and get on with your own life. As you say, you've done the teenage partying thing, and you don't need to do it any more; that said, there's nothing at all to stop you joining in with it if you want to! You're the one who's made the big choice and you're getting on with it - they're the ones who'll feel silly when the results come out.

I think your best tactic is just to be as pleasant to them all as you can, and get on with your own life. As you say, you've done the teenage partying thing, and you don't need to do it any more; that said, there's nothing at all to stop you joining in with it if you want to! You're the one who's made the big choice and you're getting on with it - they're the ones who'll feel silly when the results come out.

Agree with this advice ^^

FM i personally would be civil towards her - nothing more. I also would choose not to sit with her on the train. Why waster your time with people who you dislike when you could be doing something you do like.. (like being on NR :mstickle: ) . Your colleagues and this girl all sound very silly and immature. Leave them to it. You will be one who wins when this course ends - they will with poor results and no job. You on the other hand will walk away with something - a job, more money and a fancy new 4x4 :showoff:.

With regards to the "making comments" about everyone - she sounds like SHE has body issues if she is putting people down for looks etc. Its a way of making herself feel better and it sounds like she is feeling rather insecure in her mental ability and looks department.

See, I think you are looking at this totally the wrong way FM!

Rather than her making you feel old and un-cool (aren't we all by the way?!), you should be pitying her for her obvious lack of life experience. You are older, wiser and you know how much this means, if she was doing this at your age I can guarantee she would be acting the same.

So just distance yourself form them, be proud of your un-cool status, knuckle down and be proud of the amazing career you get out of this. She will most likely end up marrying some rich guy and being a kept woman...then she will be jealous of your independance as she constantly watches her back for the younger, more attractive girl to steal her hubby!!!

Thankyou for the kind words and feedback guys (Kiterider, you're far too nice :redface:, thankyou!) I've been beating myself up about this the last couple of days as I just feel I'm too old to be bothering with hating folk, its just not worth it. On the other hand, I'm just far too old to pretend to like someone I'm not interested in lol. My inner turmoil! I overthink stuff and don't want to waste valuable time on someone I ultimately shouldn't care about.
Calluna, she's definitely fallen into this career choice, she's not sure what she wants and I guess I was the same when I left uni. I think she's likely to fall on her feet though so I'll just have to get used to her being around, but I'm surprised how easily led these other early 20s guys are, trying to look cool by saying they haven't studied and then panicking when the exam comes. I didn't think it was cool anymore to not study since the big bang theory lol!
I do honestly live by the mantra that other folks' opinion of me is none of my business (unless they make it so) and I appreciate that this girl may not be thinking these nasty things about me personally, but I think she reminds me that I think them of myself, and I'm probably projecting it onto her as the sort of person who could make me feel worse about my weight, about the fact that I don't go out drinking all night and just generally being a frump. I'm glad that I don't have to see her again for a couple of months and I will make a point of not sitting beside her, I'll be pleasant, but I won't entertain her. Maybe the others will join me in thinking she's a flake. Maybe they won't. Heh ho. I just have to believe in karma. Fingers crossed!

Yep. The new girl. Everyone thinks shes great. In reality shes an attention seeking loud mouthed bitch and I cant stand her.

I probably wouldn't have had a horrifically bad shift if she didn't do half of it with me :|

newrider.com