people interfering for no good reason

TALSMUM

Nov 28, 2006
south wales
i'm having a moan cos i'm fed up of people telling me how to look after my horses. most people give good advice which i happily take on board, but yesterday i had enough. i left one horse in the field and led the other one up the lane to the farrier. a woman riding a horse called me and asked if i intended to leave the one horse on its own. when i said yes she will be fine she started on at me how i musn't leave the horse alone. i told her if she wanted to lead two horses to the farrier when only one needed doing then she was welcome to do it. then she asked why they didnt have a turnout rug on when it was raining (it was spotting lightly). i then flipped and told her they were native ponies that didnt need fuss arsing with like her poncy tb (no offence to decent people with tb;). she then went on to say she didnt want to ride her horse past the one in the field incase it neighed to her horse. at that point i just walked off and left her to it. she could have stayed there all day for all i care. am i mean and what would you have done.p.s feel better now:)

ahh she was scared of your horse in the feild upsetting her horse? i had a neighbour like that, she thought she had the right to take a hunting whip as she went past the feild-no idea if she was going to use it, but i felt like using it on her. made me see red i tell you :eek:

people can be fools, horsey people can be really annoying fools when they try hard enough
you have my sympathy!

Crikey, sounds like her horse should have been wrapped in bubble wrap if not only will he melt when it rains he can't cope with horses neighing at him too!

It's a good job she doesn't have to come past our yard, all the horses were out last night, bar one, without rugs and oddly enough none of them were any the worse for wear this morning!

My mare is often stabled overnight in a block by herself. She couldn't care less about being on her own.

i know we can all be a bit overprotective with our horses but i would never dream of telling someone else what to do unless it was sheer neglect. and keeping a horse on its own for half hour without a rug in the rain isn't neglect:rolleyes: i am not a bad mum honest:)

Im afraid some people have some odd views and it sounds like she was making any excuse up not to ride her horse past incase it did something but without actually saying that!

Take a deep breath and forget about her.

Nothing makes me as happy as seeing our horses 'naked' in the field enjoying the sunshine/warmth and if it rains now its hardly going to kill them is it??!:D

Don't know how she'd cope if she had to hack past stuff where I live!!! I have to get Storm past helicopters, neighbours fires, highland cattle that are over friendly, cheeky sheep that are as bold as brass, numerous pheasants, millions of rabbits darting out of holes all over the show - the list is endless. Perhaps I should tell them all to keep away when I have to hack past........!! Take no notice of her. Natives don't need rugs now - I put a rain sheet on my tb and one on my connie but only cos I don't want excessive grooming of an evening!

Tell her if you put a rug on, the lice will quadruple then all hop onto her TB....

good for you!! i hate people like that! think they know everything about everything :mad: drives most others around completely insane! we have a woman like that at our yard, whos so rude and up her own backside when she only has a wee fat cob!! no offence to people who have cobs - cos they are lovely! but she acts like her's is a top class eventer :rolleyes: haha! rants are great to let out some steam :)
u were defos right to ignore her! Theyre your horses so your choice what you do with them :D

I once had a stranger pull over in a car and ask me if I had passports for my horses?! :confused: In a very serious manner! :confused:

I told him, no they're illegal immigrants but shhhhh ;)

He didn't find it very funny and tutted loudly and drove off.. but I mean really some people!

I once had a stranger pull over in a car and ask me if I had passports for my horses?! :confused: In a very serious manner! :confused:

I told him, no they're illegal immigrants but shhhhh ;)

He didn't find it very funny and tutted loudly and drove off.. but I mean really some people!

a man once stopped his car and told me the horse i was riding wouldn't be suitable for a novice rider :confused: :confused:
we were just walking up the road in a quiet and happy world of our own, minding our own bussiness:confused:
i was too "duh" to think of a reply :eek:

Somebody once asked me rather randomly how long I'd been riding! Must have had the crouched pained expression of a scared hacker on my face......!!!

a man once stopped his car and told me the horse i was riding wouldn't be suitable for a novice rider :confused: :confused:
we were just walking up the road in a quiet and happy world of our own, minding our own bussiness:confused:
i was too "duh" to think of a reply :eek:

Someone once (an adult this is!) informed me whilst out on a hack that my horse needed a haircut! Dead-pan serious as well when he said it. I didn't know what to say! :confused: :p

Oh and some little boy once "tried" to stop me saying "can I stroke your horse? Please, can I?" just as Storm was bolting away at a fast canter towards a busy 60mph road. I remember saying something like "not now I can't stop".........!!!!

up her own backside when she only has a wee fat cob!! no offence to people who have cobs - cos they are lovely! but she acts like her's is a top class eventer ::D

does that make sombody a better horse owner depending what horse they *currently* have? or breed discipline they choose to follow?

sorry dont mean to make a fuss, it just gets me that attitude

If this woman is not capable of getting her horse past yours in the field then she has no right being out on the road and should stick to schooling until she has more control. Take no notice of her it doesnt sound as if she knows what shes on about. Im currently being driven mad by people in my village telling me how cruel Im being to my mini shettie because hes in a starvation paddock. No amount of explaning about lami works. Ive had comments like" you shouldnt be allowed to keep horses like that" and "its not fair starving him like that when youve got all that grass". Yesterday I lost it when one dog walker stopped and asked me "Why are you ill treating the little pony and not the horse" [my horse is in the bigger field with all the grass] I replied "Because I dont like the little one as much" his face was a picture. Its not true BTW I love them both dearly but I do get so fed up with the stupid comments.Gosh I feel better for that now Thank you for letting me join your rant!

magicalmac - how annoying for you! I guess folk just don't understand - they are just being ignorant - but I'll bet you were sick of people commenting! I have to patiently explain to a lot of my non horsey friends, why Storm doesn't get dozens and dozens of carrots daily and treats (she's an extremely good doer and possibly lami prone - we weren't sure)....

newrider.com