Pelhams!

noumenon

mad, Welsh and ginger
Aug 29, 2007
I've been advised by my RI to try our loan pony in a pelham. He can be very strong when he's in the mood although usually goes in an ordinary jointed snaffle, we just need some extra security should he decide to tank off on a hack or pleasure ride etc, which he is quite likely to do if he gets a bit above himself. I am also thinking of trying my own horse in one. She schools extremely well in a french link hanging cheek but is incredibly strong if she decides she'd like a gallop out in the open and as there are some pleasure rides coming up I'd like to have some brakes. As she pulls with her head down (ditto the pony) a dutch gag wouldn't be the answer. But which pelham? Straight or jointed? I have no experience of these bits whatsoever and wonder if horses that are used to jointed bits wouldn't go so well in a straight pelham? And then there are the rubber or vulcanite versions..... Feeling confused:confused:

I started Lucy in a mullen this year and will be changing to a ported once she's comfortable (only because it's smarter imo so no rush because I can't afford a new bit right now with all the vet bills!) ...

She took to it really well even though she's usually in a jointed snaffle. I based my choice on the fact that the pelham is quite a confusing bit: many contradicting actions that Lucy was not used to. I figured a joint would add a nucracker effect and thus another level of confusion!

Yes, that makes sense Soot - the part about the nutcracker action. I'll have a careful look round at what's available and will probably go with a mullen/ported rather than a jointed mouthpiece. Thanks.

I currently use a metal mullen mouth with double reins and elastic curb which is the combination I'd always try first.

I find the vulcanite can be quite thick so isn't suitable for a lot of horses.

I'd always use double reins on a pelham even if you knot the curb reins and only use them when you need them. The elastic curb is also less severe than the chain curb so is worth trying first. You still get the curb action as it's not really stretchy. I don't like the gel pads that you can get as they don't give a clear curb feel.

I'd like to get a working equitation pelham (with ported mouthpiece) as madam seems to like the port but I need to get around to doing that!

I prefer a leather curb "chain" over a elastic one, because depending on the elastic, tightness and how hairy your horse is the elastic could rub and make static elctricity, giving a shock (try rubbing the elastic on your arm/ head/ leg and see the static!) if the curb action isn't constant (eg because it is stretchy you dont have complete control on how tight/loose it goes) you could create this.

some people prefer them, but we use a leather or a 'double link' curb chain- depending on what they can cope with and what they need.

completely up to you :)

Thanks everyone - beginning to get a feel of what i should be looking for. I've not ridden with two reins before but am willing to give this a try - in the school with my regular RI. I'm keen to have some brakes but not at the expense of the horse/pony's comfort, and the advice about two reins and alternatives to the metal curb chain and the different mouthpieces has been very welcome.

I sell / do trials on myler bits and by far the most popular pelham is the low port, It has a 3/4'' port, so it dosnt affect the palate, but gives the horse room for the tongue.
The next is the higher port - for horses with larger tongues eg. full bred drafts horses.
The mullen only really gets asked for now and again, by someone with a horse that wont accept a moving / jointed bit Or a horse thats been previously driven in a liverpool bit

I'm dislike the vulcanite rubber mouthpieces as there too wide for most horses to be able to hold comfortably in their mouth - a pelham with the same width mouthpiece as a std metal snaffle is better

As said above, 2 reins is far better than 1 with couplings, you'll be able to give much clearer signals to your horse, and be able to ride mainly off the snaffle, with the backup curb rein when needed
I personally have always used a metal curb chain, and have had no problems with it.

Jill

I believe any curb chain should always be worn with a lip strap (?) but would be happy to be corrected by anyone out there with more experience of this type of bit.

for just the normal schooling bridle we dont use a lip strap (more a case of there isnt a spare one than definite choice)

it only keeps the curb 'chain' on and stops you losing it i dont think it does anything else.
for their showing bridle they have a lipstrap on because it is correct to have one, and we dont want to lose a curb chain in the middle of a class!

newrider.com