pelhams and dutch gags

appaloosamare

Jul 20, 2008
So...... going on from the fact that the pelham is a "strong" bit and with the curb rein puts pressure on the poll .... whats the major difference between that and the dutch gag - would you ever ride in a dutch gag with 2 reins???

(totally clueless ....but learning... about any other bits than the simplest)

Technically speaking all gags are supposed to be ridden with two reins. Riding a dutch gag on the bottom ring is similar to riding a pelham on the curb rein.

Gags as I understand it designed to raise the head because of the sliding action causes the bit to rise in the mouth, but then there is an element of poll pressure as well. *shrug*

thanks for that .... interesting that I haven't seen anyone ride a dutch gag in two reins.... even in pictures on the likes of this forum....

anyone got any pics of their own horses in a gag with double reins?

Erm....jump in to correct me but my understanding is the dutch gag and the pelham have totally apposing actions...

The dutch gag raises the head whilst the pelham lowers, as a general rule...

And yes ideally a dutch gag SHOULD be ridden with 2 reins...It means you can ride on a snaffle action most of the time and only use the lower 'shanked' rein when needed rather than a constant stronger action...

peahces- yes thats *** i think- having expierianced both! vulcanite pelham- cloud leaned, pulled, had no brakes and learned to play with the hooks- partly due to thick mouthpiece but it did lower her head a lot. dutch gag however lightens hger up and is responsive and lifts her head up to a certain degree

I am not the most knowledgable person about tack in general,and in particular strong bits,but I always assumed gags should be ridden with two reins,for the same reason I think pelhams should be,how can you utilise the action of the gag (or pelham) if you don't have more than one rein?? That probably doesn't make a lot of sense,but I know what I mean in my head:eek:

As mentioned on your other post I tried my gag with two reins once (one rein on snaffle for 99% of the time,other rein on next one down for 'emergency situations' I was having at the time with the stallions next door:rolleyes:)),but it turns out I am just not co-ordinated enough to handle them both effectively,not without a bit more practice anyway.In the end I decided to tough it out and find other alternatives to our 'stallion situation',and touch wood seems to be working,and I can just use my french link which is much more straightforeward as only need one rein lol

yep, i always used two reins on my old boy, he was a darling but occassionaly could get seriously strong, and being 17.3 with a neck like iron didn't help! will shuffle off and attempt to find a pic :D

The Cheltenham Gag is a true Gag, as is the Barry Gag.

The Cheltenham Gag has the special cheek piece running through the snaffle ring, and you attach your rein to the ring on the end of the cheek piece, and a second rein on the snaffle ring.

I believe the Barry Gag is the same with either a bigger or significantly smaller snaffle ring - please correct me if I am wrong.

from what I can tell from a quick scan, the basic principle is that the mouthpiece on a gag bit is free to move upwards in the horse's mouth.

Like the cheltenham gag where the bit can slide up (and down) the cheekpiece

With a dutch gag, the vertical movement of the bit in the horse's mouth is based on the large ring of the bit i.e. there *is* some vertical movement but it is limited.

newrider.com