Pelham or Tom Thumb advise needed please

Wendy Jackson

Nov 30, 2020
Hi on a large group ride my pony gets very excited I currently put him in a Pelham but someone told me to try a Tom Thumb would this be better advise please

There’s too little info to be able to give any thoughts on there, you haven’t said anything about what he does that you’re trying to stop or why you think the Pelham isn’t working for you.

Hi so I ride in a universal day to day but when out hunting or large group rides I put him in a Pelham. When I bought him this was the bit he came with as past owners said he was strong, which he is very on a hunt ride. When on such ride he jogs continuously trott extremely fast and extended and gallops very fast which is all fine as he is loving the outing. This weekend lots of the rod where asking no longer f I was ok “is he pulling your arms out” which he was but what I’m used to one lady said she used to have a pony just the same I asked her if she had any tips she said she changed to a Tom Thumb so I’m interested in learning more and would very much love some tips thank you

What sort of mouthpiece has the Pelham got? And what sort of mouthpiece is the Universal you also use? Is he putting his head down into his chest when he gets too strong and runs off or throwing it up in the air?

Welcome to the forum.
Cant advise re tom thumb no experience myself. My horse was snaffle mouthed day to day hacking, but useless when we were on funrides. Getting run away with is no fun.
If your not sure what mouthpeice is has take a picture of the bit and post on here so that people can see it, to offer better advise.

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com