Pee's a lot - normal??

M

Mareish

To all gelding owners, this is a new one on me as I have had mares only for many years.

My new youngster seems to have a disgustingly wet bed every day, I am getting through shed loads of wood shavings.

He does seem to drink a fair bit but then he does get a lot of dry hay, he just seems to pee so much more than my mare - is it normal?

Filthy git is doing my head in :eek: Any tips on bedding or anything would be greatly appreciated, he's really smelly !!

How weird - ours are peeing lots too!! We have 12 at the yard and they all really really wet at the mo.

We are on straw (I've got mats too) and so YO has started putting sawdust down underneath to soak it all up.

Mares and Geldings btw...

Maybe it's just all the dry hay making them drink more then, I've only had him a few weeks so I don't know what he was like before.

I have been so spoilt as Lily is so clean

Thanks x

We have a theory that because our grazing is still really really good they might be taking in more water that way?!

They're not usually this wet at this time of year!

Alex doesnt wee 'alot' but when he does you know about it!!!

Although mares are seen as being dirty...the geldings at our yard are worse!

My Youngster is exactly the same and I actually questioned it with the other girls on the yard, he too drinks a fair amount and then pees for England:D

He does have lots of hay at night (and eats it all:D) so I guess that is why he drinks so much. I use shavings and now tend to deep litter him with a major clearout on weekends, but I probably use a minimum of 2 bales a week, more often 3. Roll on Spring, lol

Last edited:
I have a gelding that wees for england. I too was worried when I first got him but he is fit and healthy.

I have tried every bedding and combination I can think of. The most effective and easiest was a deep bed of equisorb on rubber mats.Skipping out the poo and digging out wee at weekends. Unfortunately I had to stop getting equisorb as half the rats in wiltshire were destroyjng the bags and nesting in it:eek: I now use a bedding that is a combination of shavings and flax. This is also good but not quite as good as just the flax.

Scooby pees for england and drinks way way more than dennis! or newt!

I put it down to the indiviual :)

I have scoob semi deep littered on whatever hes on now........ at home on flaxbedding ....... every 2 weeks or so take out the top layers of wet :) and same with straw but with straw i put a layer of flax (/easibed) down on the bottom first to start it off well :) all of mine are managed like this at home.

I had the same problem with Flax and Rats too

Just had some Bed down traditional delivered to day to try, I expect the meeses will love nesting in that too :rolleyes:

My youngster and my friends youngster both peed, drank and slept loads when we first got them, they seemed to have settled down a bit now I soak his hay and he has sugarbeet, maybe that give him more moisture.

I just use straw, its cheapest!

He'd actually be better for me on a deep straw bed, unfortunately Lily is highly allergic to it so I wont have it on the yard :eek:

My boy yearling is always very wet by morning and the big arab gelding thats one of my liverys i have to do is also soaking wet! Last year the arab was fine! The mare i do is the best, her bed looks perfect by morning and i always found mares dirtier in the past! Talk about role change lol!

Yep! My TB is appalling! I swear he was a fish in previous life! He drinks soo much and wees all the time! God knows what it is! I asked my vet and he wasn't concerned so I have just left it and he is perfectly healthy and happy!

newrider.com