Pee stains ugh! Updated

Orenoko

Feb 13, 2017
I'm at my wit's end so desperate for some ideas that might help with this! I've got a house bunny, normally very well Litter trained, but he was ill recently so we had a few accidents on the carpet. I've been able to clean all of them with warm water and white vinegar with no problem, all bar one! There's one particularly stubborn stain which is also in his favourite spot to sit (I don't know if him sitting there is making it worse).

I've tried warm water and white vinegar like I did with the other stains. I've tried pet safe carpet cleaning spray. I've tried 1001 stain remover, and now all I seem to be doing is spreading it round and making it worse! The carpet is old so I don't need it to be perfect but at the moment it stinks, worse than it ever was when it first happened. It's in my home office as well so I can smell it when I'm trying to work :confused: I'm sure I've made it worse and I'm all out of ideas! Anybody got any novel ideas I could try?

I don;t know if you can get this in the UK but it has changed my life since I had a very incontinent old JRT with dementia - and now a pissy little hairy missy who would rather pee indoors than go out in even a light sprinkling of rain _ we live in Ireland for God's sake - it is always raining! :D - we actually use the pet spray and just deal with individual accidents but I cant find a link - but this is the carpet cleaner and I guess it is pretty much the same. Marvellous stuff - no smell left to attra ct them back again, no stain - I cant praise it enough - after my poor old JRT eventually died we hires a rug doctor carpet cleaner and went through the whole house - all carpets came up lik new and smelt lovely :)
https://www.woodies.ie/rug-doctor-p...RqR-94jxsBu5qLDxCU7I3IE7ykvagygoaAqgFEALw_wcB

Thanks @Cortrasna, do you need to use this with the rug doctor machine or can you use it without? I did think about hiring one but was put off by not being sure whether it was pet safe, but would be happy to try this!

Oh no you dont need the machine at all - but as we were doing the whole house after Humphrey ran over Rainbow Bridge it just seemed sensible., by far the easiest is to get hold of the spray - you just mop up as much piddle or shite as you can, spray the spot liberally - lay a damp piece of kitchen roll or similar over it - leave for 24 hours and job done. ;)

Oh fab will give that a go for sure! Fingers crossed it works as every other method I've tried has failed lol silly bunny

Reactions: Cortrasna
White vinegar is the way to go, it breaks down the enzymes in urine that smell but the trick is half a kitchen roll and something really heavy left on top for 24 hours (or until the carpet is dry) to soak all of the nasty stuff out of the carpet so you don't just spread it further ;)

Reactions: Prjsmk
No advice, but I loved having a house bunny as a teenager. He was good and only seemed to use one corner in the kitchen. I hope you get something to get the stains out.

Reactions: Orenoko
White vinegar is the way to go, it breaks down the enzymes in urine that smell but the trick is half a kitchen roll and something really heavy left on top for 24 hours (or until the carpet is dry) to soak all of the nasty stuff out of the carpet so you don't just spread it further ;)

That's what I normally use, but for some reason this one won't budge and I think I've spread it round and made it much worse! :oops: it's also his favourite spot to sit on so I think he makes it worse too.

Ordered some rug doctor stuff last night, hopefully that'll get rid of most of it. Then I have a rug to put over it so if we have any other issues I can just whip it off and wash it.

They're great fun as pets, I couldn't have a dog because of work and living in a flat, but to me they're quite similar and have tonnes of personality! I'm really lucky that they don't chew anything either other than card, the carpet is the only issue I've had. Hoping the rug doctor stuff arrives soon!

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
So three days on from when the Rug Doctor arrived, I cleaned the carpet twice and it's come up quite nicely visually. It's still damp so not quite back to normal but I'm happy with it from that side. The smell however! :confused: the smell just kept getting worse and worse. I came home from work and went into the spare room and it just stank. I decided to bite the bullet and lift the carpet. The underlay was quite wet, and even the floorboards were damp in one patch.

Decided not to bother trying to clean the underlay after a cursory google as it's unlikely to get better. Cut the offending underlay away, I'll replace it at some point, just waiting for the floor to dry before I put the carpet back down.

All this from a cute little bunny! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Trewsers
Hello! Unfortunately, I do not know any other DIY methods that you can use to remove a stain: I only knew the one that you have already tried. Do not worry, though: I have a suggestion that might work even better. If you live in the Greeley area, then you might resort to Greeley carpet cleaning. This company is known for its top-rated services: they specialize in removing stains, no matter what their origin is. I genuinely recommend you to resort to their services if you do not find a DIY method that works with that kind of stain.

newrider.com