Passport Rule Changes

graciemoo

graciemoo.co.uk
I posted this on H&H too, so sorry if anyone reads it twice, but look for an asnwer.

Just wondered if anyone had read the news article in this week's H&H about the rules about passports changing? All new foals from sometime next year must be chipped.

I just wondered if anyone knew the answer to a question I came up with.

I have Buddy passported by IHB and had my vets microchip him when I bought him (a PetLog chip - same as Kennel Club, but with equine section). Will these new laws means that I have to remove this chip and have it by someone else?

Also, it was saying about the NED being released. Do I have to register Buddy to this with the chip I already have or do I need a new chip for it?

Additionally, can all chips be read by the different readers?

I posted this on H&H too, so sorry if anyone reads it twice, but look for an asnwer.

Just wondered if anyone had read the news article in this week's H&H about the rules about passports changing? All new foals from sometime next year must be chipped.

I just wondered if anyone knew the answer to a question I came up with.

I have Buddy passported by IHB and had my vets microchip him when I bought him (a PetLog chip - same as Kennel Club, but with equine section). Will these new laws means that I have to remove this chip and have it by someone else?

Also, it was saying about the NED being released. Do I have to register Buddy to this with the chip I already have or do I need a new chip for it?

Additionally, can all chips be read by the different readers?

I think you can use the petlog ones so he should be fine as long as you have the microchip documents. I had my yearling microchipped when she was issued her passport as i knew this rule was coming in anyway (although it only technically applies to new foals not yet passported

(I think!!)

You def wont have to have the microchip replaced as its only new foals born from 2009 that are covered, existing older horses arent affected.

OK, but can I register this microchip to the NED? I have all paperwork for his chip.

I could have bought a microchip from IHB, but I had to pay in Euros and by the time I had fannied on to changing money, going to post office etc was easier to just call vets out to do it. When I sent passport off for ownership changes I asked them to register the microchip number to him, but I dont know whether they will have done so.

newrider.com