Painting a body protector?

Hoof_hearted

Aug 29, 2017
I just purchased a body protector so I can finally take whisks to a bit of xcountry schooling. However I don't really like the colour of it. But at the price i paid I'm not fussed if this dosn't work I was just curious if anyone's ever attempted to use fabric paint to brighten a body protector up?

I'd read the label very carefully as you may damage the materials under the fabric, and even if you don't some venues may not pass it as acceptable in case you have. Can't you just wear something over it?

Agree with carthorse. You could be refused entry.
If you have an accident and your are covered for injury you might not get pay out as it could be said you have defected the bp.

I repeated my Racesafe BP. It was brown and blue.....

20180812_081006-600x620.jpg

....but when I overcame my fear of jumping last year and started competing, I decided that ity needed to be black. I contacted Simply Spray (fabricspray.co.uk) explained about the nylon over foam and they recommended their waterproof spray. I took the laces out of my BP and masked up the inside with a bin liner and tape around the edges and I even taped over the Racesafe logo on the front to make it look authentic. Then it was sprayed, which took about 20 seconds!

20180812_080809-600x1029.jpg

Left it to dry for a few hours and then hung it up and started looking for missed bits. As there are lots of folds and creases I just sprayed some more spray into a plastic cup and used a small artist's paintbrush to touch in any remaining brown or blue.

20180812_080828-600x998.jpg

As for compromising the BP, no doubt Racesafe would be horrified and yes, I was berated by a few when I did mine but a year down the line mine doesn't look any different, they're are no signs of the foam degrading and my argument is that it is still better to wear it than not! By giving it a new lease of life in a smarter colour, I probably wear it more now as well so that can't be a bad thing.

20180812_082551-800x591.jpg I

You can buy covers.
What colour is it? Blue or black.
Your colours are your base layer, hat, saddle pad and ear bonnet if you want to match.

Bear in mind that if you do compete if it's up to standard it could be covered over with the numbers bib and won't be seen anyway.

I'm not looking to do any competitions or anything, I don't have the confidence to jump competitively haha

It's a tartan airowear reiver 2000. The cover can be removed so it wouldn't effect the protective inside. I tried looking at changeable covers but they were all about £60+ the ones I seen, didn't see the point in spending more than what I paid for the body protector itself £10.

Reactions: Trewsers
I repeated my Racesafe BP. It was brown and blue.....

View attachment 94533

....but when I overcame my fear of jumping last year and started competing, I decided that ity needed to be black. I contacted Simply Spray (fabricspray.co.uk) explained about the nylon over foam and they recommended their waterproof spray. I took the laces out of my BP and masked up the inside with a bin liner and tape around the edges and I even taped over the Racesafe logo on the front to make it look authentic. Then it was sprayed, which took about 20 seconds!

View attachment 94534

Left it to dry for a few hours and then hung it up and started looking for missed bits. As there are lots of folds and creases I just sprayed some more spray into a plastic cup and used a small artist's paintbrush to touch in any remaining brown or blue.

View attachment 94535

As for compromising the BP, no doubt Racesafe would be horrified and yes, I was berated by a few when I did mine but a year down the line mine doesn't look any different, they're are no signs of the foam degrading and my argument is that it is still better to wear it than not! By giving it a new lease of life in a smarter colour, I probably wear it more now as well so that can't be a bad thing.

View attachment 94536 I
Your finished body protector looks great I think, you'd never even think it had ever been another colour! Having a look at that website you mentioned now. I was just going to go for black but now I can't decide haha

Personally I would just leave the colour. Mine is blue. Without looking I can't recall who it's by.
Last used for a jumping lesson.

Reactions: Prjsmk
Body protectors need replacing after about 4 years. And regulated standards have gone up since 2000. They have been thicker for some time now.

I'm not looking to do any competitions or anything, I don't have the confidence to jump competitively haha

It's a tartan airowear reiver 2000. The cover can be removed so it wouldn't effect the protective inside. I tried looking at changeable covers but they were all about £60+ the ones I seen, didn't see the point in spending more than what I paid for the body protector itself £10.
I would leave if just tartan.
If you are not competiting or riding out racehorses you will be fine. :)

newrider.com