Pain around Poll area... any Ideas?

PIGLOVER

As above really, my pony today was tossing her head alot and we had a little look and she was very very unhappy with us going anywhere near her poll.

Proper eyes wide open with fear, throwing her head away from us- yet this is the same horse who i used to tickle all around her head/ears/poll less than 8 months ago so im wondering if shes done something to herself?

After some calm persistence she allowed my mum to very gently feel around her poll and she couldnt feel anything out of the ordinary, her mane is VERY thick and her headpeice is a comfort one so no issues there.

Any ideas?

She hasnt bumped it im sure of it, as she used to do a similar thing a few months ago but i put that down to flies/summer and we found out her teeth were very sharp.. since then teeth and tack all spot on she also had her back checked also.

Shes recently had 6 months off- unrelated and now im completely stumped.

When ridden, and when being very forward going she shows no problems at all- however, when bored or standing around she starts doing it. :confused:

Have you recently hung anything in her stable?
Sounds ridiculous i know, but my boy started doing this and I realised it was because we had hung a likit in his stable and he kept whacking his head on it. The moment we removed it he was fine :D

My horse became very headshy around his poll when he got caught up on something in the field and snapped his headcollar. It was a couple of days before I realised he must have pulled so hard he had pulled a muscle. Carrot stretches for a week or so helped alot. Could yours have been caught on something?

I know you said you'd had her back checked...but as I read it this was before the time off? If so I'd advise getting her checked again. It only takes an unnoticable jerky movement to 'knock' anything in back or neck or poll 'out of place' and doesn't need a slip or accident to occur so you may well be unaware of anything causing a possible problem there.

If you meant you've had back checked since this behaviour, then sorry I misunderstood!

In which case, is she the type to get a little tempremental after a break in work? My fella plays up a bit about that sort of thing after time away. If she is turned out with other horses could she have had been playing and got a knock from a high flying rearing hoof, or a nip in play? If her mane is really thick there, can you feel through for a bump? Or alternatively theres no hidden mane tangled in the middle which is feeling tugged when touched or handled or wearing a headcollar etc...?

Hope she's okay soon =] x

Is bridle too tight around browband that can cause discomfort.
My chap has ear damage got my own thread up. But i'm interested in your replies case helps me.

I was gonna also say have you had her back etc checked?? If a horse is "out" or has just pulled a muscle somewhere they start to compensate throwout their body, they carry the worst of this strain around the poll area as they use the neck to balance and hold the head straight. Also any miss alignment in the jaw or face can pull on muscles and ligaments around poll.

Nearly all my ET cases have something going on at the poll, even if it isnt the worst area.

what bit do u use, do u ride off poll or mouth? the gags and bauchers are all poll, (if rein to true bit) u can rule out its the bit thats doing it.

My horse was out at his poll last time he had his back done- we think he fell in the field? The chiro said it was similar to a whiplash type injury in people.

If the atlasis out (at the poll) that can give them 'headaches', it can be done a mirriad of ways, even tossing her head while tied up and just catching the headcollar wrong can do it.
My gelding loves his head fussed, until this time of year, its all to do with the flies annoying him around his ears, he will pull away and even rear if you persist, makes bridling a challange but in 6 or 8 weeks it will go away and he will be fine until june next year again :rolleyes:

newrider.com