Paddock fencing - increasing the height

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
I have two paddocks, one has 3ft wooden posts with three rows of elec fencing - this provided by yard, I put third row of tape on it to stop ponies going through. Top paddock is my elec fencing, which is 4ft 6 inches in height, with 3 rows of tape - these are 4ft6 temporary plastic posts.

About 6 months ago a new horse was purchased on yard and is kept next to my paddocks. The horse is a pain, she is bred for jumping and jumps the 3ft fence from a standstill pretty much, she does clear the 4ft6 fence too but not as frequent. although I don't want her in with mine for various reasons - Rosie being lame, me having to poo pick extra poo in winter, risk of kicks to mine, hassle from her when I bring mine in..mine r so used to her jumping in they generally ignore her. I would still prefer her not in with them though obviously.

Problem is - I rest one of my paddocks all summer and restrict mine in the other paddock. It's not going to be rested if she's jumping in. The YO has tried everything to encourage her to stay where shes put - companions, hay, solo, diff paddocks...only thing will b making fences higher- anyone got any suggestions on how to achieve this cheap?

Id agree with joyscarer.. If it is not your horse then i would say the problem is down to the yo or who evers horse it is, You keep your horses where they should be and fencing do not work out cheep ither.

Thanks.

Said horse has been away this week at the vets due to colic. She hasnt jumped in since being back home.

I agree the YO should sort it out as the other horse is on full livery and is the yards responsibility...YO just says there's not much she can do...I have asked to move paddocks but to be honest everywhere else will be just as awkward!

If I see her in my rested paddock then I will approach the YO and suggest she increases the height to stop her jumping in.

Again, I agree that the YO should be sorting this and footing the cost incurred. If she's jumping a single fence at 3ft and 4ft 6, then what if you put an extra line of fencing in with a 3ft gap or something? This may be enough of a visual deterrent for her to stop jumping it? You'd only need to put it along when your paddocks join her paddocks.

I know electric fencing and tape is expensive as it is and it's something you shouldn't have to buy as it's not your horses causing the issue.

Attach electric posts to the top of wooden posts and run elec tape around.

There is a lot YO could do and should do. How would the person who owns the horse feel if it got in with yours and was injured. She has a duty to both you and the other owner.

I would be rather annoyed if I found out my horse was jumping into other peoples paddocks with their horses and the YO did nothing about it.

Does the other person know ?

She knows and hasn't offered to do anything about it...mine r in their top paddock at the moment and the mare hasn't jumped in as far as I know for a few weeks now .... As soon as I see that she's been in my rested bit I was gonna ask YO again - I was also thinking about attaching some elec posts to the top of the wooden posts as I have loads of them spare!

newrider.com