P.I.P. Tribunal discriminates against Riders

flump1967

May 19, 2005
new forest
Hello, haven't posted here for ages but wondered if anyone can help at all?
A friend who has M.E., Fibromylagia, Hip Bursitis, Depression and Chronic Disc problems is facing having her Personal Independence Payment reduced or even stopped altogether because the tribunal chairman feels that riding and her disabilities MUST be completely incompatible.
His somewhat derisive words were "Unless you are hoisted onto a horse like Henry the 8th I fail to see how you can ride with disabilities".
The lady in question has many adaptations to ride, a large mounting block, a small quiet pony, a seat saver, special stirrups, a helper, she rides in a limited time and only as health allows (some days are worse than others) and relies on a morphine patch as well as other meds to manage her conditions.
She has ridden all her life and it is all that keeps her going in the face of the many restrictions her life now contains.
Her consultant has approved her riding, and supports it as this exercise keeps her core muscles strong which in turn helps her back pain.
Any other disabled riders claiming PIP etc and how have you been treated?

She could do with speaking to someone from the RDA who I'm sure would be happy to list the range of disabilities they cater for and how many disabled riders ride at their registered centres, he obviously is oblivious that many special schools encourage children with disabilities to participate in riding from a young age. x

Reactions: Trewsers
The rules have altered - and as you know there is an appeals system. Your friend should not try to tackle this in isolation. As well as RDA there may be charities and on line networks dealing with the specific medical problems from which she suffers.
However, the real question is possibly not about riding but about your friends fitness to work and or her ability to walk about? If these remarks were made to her in person by a Chariman, why was she unable to explain about riding as therapy?

Hello, haven't posted here for ages but wondered if anyone can help at all?
A friend who has M.E., Fibromylagia, Hip Bursitis, Depression and Chronic Disc problems is facing having her Personal Independence Payment reduced or even stopped altogether because the tribunal chairman feels that riding and her disabilities MUST be completely incompatible.
His somewhat derisive words were "Unless you are hoisted onto a horse like Henry the 8th I fail to see how you can ride with disabilities".
The lady in question has many adaptations to ride, a large mounting block, a small quiet pony, a seat saver, special stirrups, a helper, she rides in a limited time and only as health allows (some days are worse than others) and relies on a morphine patch as well as other meds to manage her conditions.
She has ridden all her life and it is all that keeps her going in the face of the many restrictions her life now contains.
Her consultant has approved her riding, and supports it as this exercise keeps her core muscles strong which in turn helps her back pain.
Any other disabled riders claiming PIP etc and how have you been treated?

Flump1967 I am so sorry to hear of your friends problem. PIP tribunals are intimidating. And I feel make decisions in excess of their 'power' and ignorant. (inverted snobbery!) May I say that the pannel will need evidence, evidence and yet more evidence. Please as suggested contact one of the RDA Centres who may be able to privide a written statement to clarify the aims and objectives of the organsations, and the type of condition that your dear friend has would benefit from this type of therapy. If they do not have a written statement from the consultant, get one! It may be a an idea to film the process that they go through to ride (when they are able enough) adaptations, and side helper(s). To deprive them of riding will be detremental to their mental and physical help. Dear lord they suffer enough. This is a guide I know, this may propt other members to have input. Please let us know how they get on

Reactions: Ruskii
How terrible! I've nothing to add to the useful advice already given except that a lot of people win on appeal, so it worth fighting on.

Sorry if this is a thick question. Why were they told she rode? What's it got to do with a PIP claim? I thought this was replacing DLA. She sounds as if she would be high rate in both sections.
Where does riding fit in to them needing to know? Unless she is claiming she needs to ride and therefore needs the money to do so.

I get confused to be honest as I know someone with an adapted wheelchair and an adapted car. Due to cuts she can't keep the car and travelling on buses is pretty impossible. Some may consider a car a luxury so maybe horse riding is filed under that?
Yes the RDA exists, but probably only for those who can afford it?

I am guessing that she is going to have reduced payments/be made to work "because you are well enough to ride"

My friend has never made secret of her riding, she is proud to still be a rider with all her health problems. Her consultant had made mention of it (in a positive way)in letter she had to submit as evidence and committee chairman had totally focused on this and pounced on her as soon as she went in the room.She had an advisor from a local disability advice service with her and they were appalled and shocked. friend is now trying to gather supporting evidence but the effect on her health of all this stress has been awful and she is currently bed bound.

I'm not up to date but when ATOS did assessments for the Department of Work & Pensions the staff conducting the initial assessments were poorly trained, poorly supported and had limited knowledge or understanding of conditions that wax and wane or mental health conditions. So lots of people were wrongly passed as fit for work. There is an appeals process and a large proportion (well over half) of appeals were successful. So don't panic at the initial outcome.

I wonder if the papers might be interested in this story. Do you think your friend might consider being interviewed?

newrider.com