Overo, Sabino, Tobiano, Rabicano and Splashed White...

Yes he's chestnut tobiano, and no, in order to throw a palomino at least one parent must carry cream. One copy of cream on chestnut gives you palomino,one copy on bay gives you buckskin, one copy on black gives you smoky black.

Two copies of cream on chestnut gives you cremello, two on bay gives perlino, two on black gives smoky cream.

Since neither stallion nor mares carry cream, she'll never get a palomino from those crosses.

She'll never get a palomino from that stallion unless she puts him on a mare with cream, and even then it'll be the mare not the stallion that's thrown a foal with cream.

Hi Chev, I have just spent an hour reading through your thread and found it fascinating. My colt is 12 weeks old and is by a skewbald 7/8 TB out of my bay mare (with socks and a stripe and white hairs in her tail). I'm wondering whether he's sabino or similar and whether he could be registered as a coloured?

Is this boy a sabino?

I'm wondering whether My colt could be Sabino? If so, could he be registered as coloured?
IMG_3818.jpg

He has classic sabino markings but wouldn't be classed as coloured - to be eligible for registration with CHAPS he must have a patch of white above the elbow/stifle line. Belly splashes don't usually count.

Thanks for that Chev. I've just received his DNA result from Animal Genetics UK and he's tested negative for both Tobiano and Sabino. Mind you they originally sent me the wrong horse's result so I don't know how reliable they are. Do I register him as a solid bay do you think?

Just wanted to correct an impression I may have given that Animal Genetics UK is unreliable. I'm sure the error they made with my result was a one-off and I hear good things about them from others including BSPA. They actually gave me a free test when they discovered their error so fair play to them.

However I am still wondering what my boy might be... Here is a recent update with him shedding his woolly coat and coming through a bit darker. The white patch is more obvious now and getting quite big!
IMG_3862.jpg

Hello,

I'm not sure if Chev is still on the forum but can you tell me what my filly is classed as please?

I have enclose a pic of mum but am unsure of what her dad is. I know there was a clydesdale stallion and a warmblood stallion where the mare came from, but the previous owner of the mare said that it was the warmblood (unknown colouring) had got to the mare. Anyway, this is Heather my beautiful filly!

496.jpg

IMG01152-20100424-1139.jpg

0042.jpg

Yep I'm still around! :D

Your filly looks like bay tobiano (that is black in her mane, right?) which she probably got from mum (Mum is definitely bay tobiano).

She's lovely :)

There is now a test for splash white. Three alleles have been found so far- Sw1 is the most common and is the type found in Icelandics for example. Sw2 and Sw3 look identical but are actually mutations on a different allele and only occur in certain quarter horse lines - a horse can be homozygous for Sw1 and also have a Sw2 or Sw3 mutation as well. There are believed to be more Sw mutations as some horses look splash but test negative for all three alleles.

newrider.com