Overo, Sabino, Tobiano, Rabicano and Splashed White...

He's bay tobiano - the tobiano is what's given him the pattern, and he's bay underneath it. But... he also carries sabino - it's the sabino that's given him the ragged blaze and white legs. Tobiano doesn't actually cause blazes, white faces or big white socks; your boy is a good example of two pattern genes at work in the same horse. :)

Thanks

So he's a heinz 57 when it comes to colouring :D just chuck it in and stir it round and see what you get kinda thing :eek: From this can you tell what colour his parents where or is that not something you can be sure of ?

What would i class him as if someone asked his colouring - as above ?

Will he be able to do coloured classes with his bleeding of colours?

Fudge is registered as dun, but I think he's buckskin and white. What colour is he technically???
0705230039.jpg
4ab7a1c4.jpg
e34093c4.jpg
He has a white splash on his belly and also one blue eye.

Last edited:
nookster he is just too darn se*y;):D

Chev - have only just found this thread and its very interesting although...i'm lost already:eek:
what i do now think though is that jerry may have the sabino gene:confused::eek:
DSC00117.jpg

11.jpg

he also has white under his chin and his body is specled with white hairs

From this can you tell what colour his parents where or is that not something you can be sure of ?

What would i class him as if someone asked his colouring - as above ?

Will he be able to do coloured classes with his bleeding of colours?

You know for definite that at least one parent was tobiano, and at least one black-based, and at least one carried the agouti allele (bay). It's also certain that at least one carried sabino.

He'd be classed as as bay tobiano, and yes, he'd be eligible for coloured classes.

Fudge is registered as dun, but I think he's buckskin and white. What colour is he technically??? He has a white splash on his belly and also one blue eye.

You're absolutely right that he's buckskin and not dun. He looks like he too carries sabino, but it's likely he also carries splash white; splash white causes big wide blazes and often goes hand-in-hand with blue eyes. From the pics and description, I'd have to say he's not eligible for showing as a coloured - most coloured societies state there must be at least one definite patch of white on the body (ie above the line of elbow or stifle).

what i do now think though is that jerry may have the sabino gene:confused::eek: he also has white under his chin and his body is specled with white hairs

I think you're right; the ticking (white hairs in the coat) is typical of sabino, as are ragged edges to the socks and blaze (which is usually irregular) and the white under his chin. He's a good example of a more minimal sabino.

Equine Colour Genetics ll by D Philip Sponenberg is a really good one. It was reprinted a couple of years ago (original version was 1995 or something) and I'd recommend you try and find a new copy.

Also try Jeanette Gower's Horse Colour Explained - but be aware that there are subtle differences between Gower's notation and Sponenberg's.

Most horses of his type do carry sabino so it's highly likely he does (hence the ragged edges to his splodges). He is also definitely tobiano.

The white face however is down to neither of those two genes - it's splashed white. Splashed white has very typical facioal markings; big blazes that are often wider in the middle (not like sabino, which tends to give bottom-heavy ragged blazes) and are quite often one-sided, so half the face is white, and the other side is not. Is the eye on the white side blue? Not all splash whites have blue eyes, but it is very common.

Hi - I am new to this forum and discovered it while trying to research the colour of my gelding. I hope I'm posting this in the right place!!

After a week of hunting I am fairly sure he is a Black or Blue Sabino - but I would love others opinions and in particular some help identifying his base colour and any other possible gene effects going on. The first picture was taken three weeks ago, and the second was taken in September last year.

Here are a couple of pictures of Marley:

marleygetsgoing.GIF

marley%20ss%20show.GIF

It is not easy getting good pictures of his body colour, but his summer coat is a mixture of black and brown hairs with roaning to the whole body but there is slightly more roaning under his belly, but no white splashes, which I think excludes him from being a Blagdon?

The mane and head are near black, although he has a few brown / dark chestnut hairs in his mane.

His tail is black underneath but from the top grow some white and some brown hairs, so it looks pretty pepper pot on the top.

His sheath is spotted (pink on black). He has a widish white face (but not covering his eyes) and a pink chin. He has irregular stockings (knifeblade?) on his hind legs, but his fore legs are black. His roaning increases and fades to white on his hind legs.

He is a typical gypsy / vanner cob type with lovely full, silky mane, tail and feathers. In winter he grows a black very course overcoat and looks black (I don't rug him and he lives out all year).

Marley is just 5 and I have had him for a year now, and his colour hasn't changed apart from the winter coat coming and going.

I'd love any ideas? What I find confusing is that although I have seen pictures of Blue and Black Sabinos, neither have the brown haris, which as I hope you can see from the first picture, make him darker than the Blue Sabinos but not anywhere are dense a colour as the black :confused:

We have three Rabicano horses.

Peri is bay at first sight but has white hairs in the top of her tail (or did before she decided to scrub it :mad: and light roaning over her back and stifle area.

George is closely relate, being by the same stallion and out of Peri's grand-dam. He is chestnut and has quite a lot more roaning than her.

I honestly don't know which side it has come from - I never remember any roaning on Peri's dam and she was bright bay. Her sire did have gray flecks in his coat in later life (he was late 20's when he went) but I never remember any on himas a young horse.

Belle (P's daughter) is the interesting one. She is very clearly Rabicano - has quite a bit of white flecking over her back, flanks and quarters although it doesn't really show on photos. However she has the strangest leg markings.

http://groups.msn.com/upsaddle2/lgd.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=16671

http://groups.msn.com/upsaddle2/lgd.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=16672

What you also can't see on the pics is that she has chestnut ermine marks round the base of her hind socks - not just one or two either, must be half a dozen on both legs. Any genetic explanation for that?

Chev

What is this boy then?? He is my mates Jumping horse but he has always just been called piebald???

KirstyAmos3.jpg

kirstyAmos1.jpg

Nikki xxxxx

Ludo's a sabino.

Classic markings (apparently!) I just thought he was a "coloured" until I was educated....:p

2007_0427First0017.jpg

DSCF0480-1.jpg

I think he's starting to roan out now as well.....

Can you tell me what my horse is please??

can you tell me what my horse is? i just thought she was piebald lol!
roxy_caverswall4.jpg

roxy_caverswall1.jpg

thnxx!:D

Hi Chev

Can you tell me what my boy's colouring is?
He's an Ardennais x and i now think of him as a red roan.
When i got him i was told strawberry roan by previous owner and vets but woman from freezemark company said bay roan. The french i think class as red roan but not sure

IMG]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb209/kerpug/CNV00011.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry Kerpug, onluy just seen this.

You're right that your boy is bay roan; also known as red roan. Strawberry roan is chestnut + roan; blue roan is black + roan.

newrider.com