Over-grooming cat

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I posted a while back about my Cali cat (I can't find the post to continue), she sparodically over grooms, and this summer has been the worst for it, and I haven't really been able to pin down what's causing it. Many of you said stress, but it's only me and her, quiet life, cat flap, adlib food/water, house backing onto fields for her hunting pleasure, but I have discovered a pair of pesky cats are coming in the house!

The tabby is bolder, comes in day and night, steals food from Cali's bowl and from the kitchen counter! and has even taken to stealing out of my bin šŸ˜  the black one at least creaps in and shoots off if she sees me. Is a microchip cat flap my only recourse? I think Cali was chipped but I honestly can't remember and don't want to buy one if I'm wrong lol

Iā€™ve got a microchip cat flap and itā€™s been brilliant, we used to get all the local cats coming in and terrorising our girls, not anymore, although Millie still overgrooms through stress periodically because sheā€™s scared of her little sister, nothing stops her, not even the feliway plug ins.

Reactions: Jessey
Oh dear! My friend had to get a cat flap and microchip system because same thing was happening and it was stressing her old cat out. I don't have a cat flap but I think if I did, that's what I'd have to do, because some of them can be so bold can't they!

Iā€™ve got a microchip cat flap and itā€™s been brilliant, we used to get all the local cats coming in and terrorising our girls, not anymore, although Millie still overgrooms through stress periodically because sheā€™s scared of her little sister, nothing stops her, not even the feliway plug ins.
That gives me hope that it's worth the investment, amazon here we come

Reactions: Kite_Rider
You can buy tags with the chip in, to put on a collar. Unfortunately Cali has never been one for keeping a collar on.
Oh right yes, I did wonder about collars. Sorry to thread hi jack, but do such things as break-away collars exist for cats? With ours being out and about so much and semi-feral I worry they could get caught on branches etc.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Oh right yes, I did wonder about collars. Sorry to thread hi jack, but do such things as break-away collars exist for cats? With ours being out and about so much and semi-feral I worry they could get caught on branches etc.
Cali is a bit wild, she hunts all the time and is always out and about. I have tried collars a few times, they normally disappear after a few days, presumably left in a tree somewhere!

They do yes, however, one of ours almost choked herself when she was young because it didn't actually breakaway, :eek: we gave up with collars after that.

• Wow
Reactions: Trewsers
Cali is a bit wild, she hunts all the time and is always out and about. I have tried collars a few times, they normally disappear after a few days, presumably left in a tree somewhere!
Yes thats the other thing with them, they don't last very long.

newrider.com