Our visit to Badminton

domane

Gracie's mum
Jul 31, 2005
I've been threatening to drag Dom for years - to see the jumps IRL so that he can truly appreciate the skill of the horses and riders. However, I do like to sit and watch the XC on the red button all day on a Saturday - it's the only day of the year that I sit guilt-free! My employer suggested visiting Badders on a dressage day so that we could walk the course, do the shopping and still enjoy all the XC - why hadn't I ever thought of that? :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, it rained a bit on the way down but the weather was actually perfect. Sunny/cloudy, no wind and mild. Shopping area was great, even though I didn't have any money to spend :( We took our dog with us so we couldn't sit in the grandstand, but to be honest, I was more interested in walking the course than sitting watching the dressage. However, we wandered past the warm-up arena for the dressage and Dom got a chance to flex his muscles with his new camera and snapped away at "someone" who was putting their horse through their paces....

I hadn't seen anyone I recognised, although some guy walked past me and gave me a "Yes, I am who you think I am" smile, but I'm afraid I don't have a clue who he was :p

We walked the course which was great. The jumps are fab and huge and out of bounds, obviously, but some of the jumps that were used for the Grassroots competition were accessible, so Ruby and I had a sit down!!

Coming back, Dom spotted this.... "a claim to fame" I thought at last.... (if you can't quite see, it is Mr Fox-Pitt's car!!!)

And we walked back past the warm-up arena and he took a few more photos...

And we fortuitously timed it just as Mary King had finished her dressage and left the arena as we passed this point....

When we got home, I looked up the numbers of the two competitors that Dom had "papped" Turns out the chestnut at the top is only Andrew Nicholson on Nereo who is currently LEADING the competition after day one..... and the bay is a German rider who is currently in THIRD position. Howzat for beginner's luck? :D

Lovely day, walked about nine miles and ate a load of cr*p.... but not an ounce gained. Must walk nine miles daily then..... :eek:

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Sounds like you had a fabulous day :) glad the weather stayed nice for you and your photo's are super!

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I have been to Badminton twice, both on xc day. Once treated myself ànd stayed overnight.
The jumps really do put things into focus as in how huge they are!
What did you think of the "Little Badminton Drop" I recall thinking I could jump two jumps on the course, both logs ha ha.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Jane&Ziggy Mallenders and feather scabs review - edit following vet visit Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 11
Jane&Ziggy A Sid visit Cafe 5
L Soxs racing groom pays a visit!! Cafe 5
Cortrasna Farrier visit and covid 19 Cafe 11
Jane&Ziggy Charlie update - an eventful trimmer visit Training of the Horse and Rider 0
Jane&Ziggy Trimmer visit achieved Cafe 3
Jane&Ziggy Visit from a Parelli trainer Training of the Horse and Rider 19
Jane&Ziggy Blue Cross foal visit report Cafe 5
Jessey Jess' vet visit Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 9
OwnedbyChanter Quick visit to Scotland Cafe 2
Nayumi1 Physio visit Cafe 0
Jane&Ziggy Cresty and footsore, aargh! Help - UPDATE for vet visit Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 37
Jessey Jess' breeder is coming to visit Cafe 5
Jane&Ziggy Itchy legs and fetlocks - UPDATED FOR VET VISIT Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 30
liz_scarlet Long time no visit! Cafe 16
CharliesAngel Vet visit today Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 8
Cremola Foam Yard visit and interesting realisation! Cafe 7
joosie visit from Rubic (again) Cafe 10
Jane&Ziggy Visit by Western saddle fitter Tack & Saddlery 5
CharliesAngel a beach visit! Hacking 13
Jessey Excited and nervous about poosmates visit Cafe 13
Jane&Ziggy Saddler visit - I am amazed Tack & Saddlery 9
Jane&Ziggy An exciting visit from the chiropractor Horse Care 1
Jane&Ziggy A visit to Redwings Fritton Cafe 9
N Interesting visit from farrier-photos included Horse Care 4
Melrose A little visit to my old girl Cafe 0
Rubic Vet visit... not brilliant news Cafe 32
Ale My boys vet visit Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 25
Trewsers Must visit the parents more.... Cafe 6
Jane&Ziggy Ziggy is lame - update from vet visit Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 35
Jane&Ziggy Chiro visit today Horse Care 6
noodle Jessicas first visit to the woods Hacking 2
Trewsers What a satisfactory tack shop visit! Cafe 3
Trewsers MIL visit! Cafe 2
N Who Would You Like To Visit And Why? Cafe 26
domane Farrier visit - post match analysis..... Cafe 7
sjp1 Poohsmate Came to Visit Again!!! Cafe 13
Maggiemooo After a 2 Hr Vet Visit, still no idea what's wrong - Help Please Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 25
Jane&Ziggy Please tell me about grumbling abscesses - UPDATE following Trevor Jones' visit Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 14
Jane&Ziggy Advice on trimmer's first visit - update! Hoof Care 10
tazzy-anne A visit to Dragon Farm Girl! Cafe 14
Laura2184 Very lame after farrier visit Hoof Care 16
popularfurball Zingy came to visit :) Cafe 12
Dannii5691 Brave friend comes to visit! Cafe 6
gail_rose To visit or not? Cafe 15
sjp1 Poohsmate Came to Visit - with pics!!!! Cafe 10
L My visit to the dealers yard. Cafe 26
liz_scarlet farrier visit.... Cafe 20
happyhacker101 Highalnd Rocky paid a visit to the Library today!! Cafe 10
L Highs and Lows - vet visit today Cafe 14